PDA

View Full Version : Red Fox Kits in Colorado

Fred J. Lord
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Last spring we had a Red Fox vixen with eight kits denned under a scenic overlook parking structure on a road to the Breckenridge, Colorado ski resort. One of the kits had somehow become injured and, due to spinal injuries, could not use its rear limbs. These are two of the other kits peering out from the base of the parking structure. The vixen had excavated a den among the large sandstone blocks which support the parking area.
This was shot with the 1D Mark II, 500mm f/4, Gitzo 1325, Wimberley 101. I was only able to find them for two shooting sessions before she moved them to another site. This site move was brought about, I feel, by the fact the injured kit rolled downhill into the street where it was found by a passing motorist. The police were called along with the Department of Wildlife and the kit was transported to a local veterinarian. It was felt that there was no chance of recovery and the kit was euthanized humanely by the veterinarian. It was unfortunate but it would not have survived for long as it was.

Harold Brewer
01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Very nice shot. I like their expression. I feel you have great lighting.

D. Robert Franz
01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
A fine image indeed. Love the blue eyes of the kits. A bit tigher crop eliminating the dark area on the right side of the frame would work well also.

Steve Fauer
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Nice image. Not sold on the blurred vignette. Maybe a little crop off the bottom and right sides. Great colors.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I really like the inquisitive looks and agree that a tighter crop might be even better.

DanWalters
01-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Really like the expression of the kits. Could be cropped just a little tighter.

Fred J. Lord
01-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Is this too tight?

D. Robert Franz
01-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Repost is excellent as well......

Jasper Doest
01-05-2008, 06:36 AM
I'd go for the original post....what a nice looking den! It matches the colours of the foxes very nice! A very interesting and pleasing image. My only nit would be the vignetting...it seems like all corners are slightly darker ...easily to fix with a PS-plugin though.

Fred J. Lord
01-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Here you go without the added vignettes. I felt that the monochromatic surrounding rocks were a distraction so I vignetted the fox kits. However, if one crops down tight, it's an immaterial modification.

Let me know your thoughts.

Fred

Jim Poor
01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Well, I like them all :D on the darkening of the edges, I think maybe it was a bit overdone in the original. In the latest version, I think a little darkening of the edges would be good. Maybe not as far in as the first, and not as dark.

The close up is good too, but it looks like the eyes suffered a bit from the crop.

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Wow was my first reaction when I saw your image!! Looks as if it was taken out in the desert somewhere rather than the base of a car-park under construction!
What a great composition though - everything has come together for you here - I just love it !!!

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
just found your other images here Fred. For me the tight crop works for a close-up study of the kits but I still go back to the vignetted image with the extra rock shelf on the right side - it all comes together for me there.