PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Fritillary Butterfly With Blue Sky Background

Arnold Dubin
10-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I took the Gulf Fritillary Butterfly at Arnold's Butterfly Heaven, and was able to capture it with a blue sky background. I would appreciate your feedback about using the blue sky BG and critique on this photo.

Camera - Nikon D300S
Flash - Nikon SB800 with a diffuser
Lens - Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 and extension tube
ISO - 400
Speed - 1/250
f-stop - f-18

I handheld the camera and manually focused it for this image.

Steve Maxson
10-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Arnold. I think the blue sky works great as a background and I like the perspective of looking slightly up at the butterfly. Nice use of the flash and good sharpness within your DOF. The butterfly is just a bit tight in the frame for my tastes - and I usually like tight crops for macro. :S3: I would wish that the bud on the right wasn't touching the frame - should be an easy fix to add a little canvas there. Also, I think the image would be stronger if the butterfly was facing toward us rather than away. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your macro work! :S3:

Arnold Dubin
10-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Steve, I took your suggestions and re-cropped this photo. I agree with you that it would have been a stronger photo if I could have gotten the butterfly to cooperate, and face me. :S3:

Hi Arnold. I think the blue sky works great as a background and I like the perspective of looking slightly up at the butterfly. Nice use of the flash and good sharpness within your DOF. The butterfly is just a bit tight in the frame for my tastes - and I usually like tight crops for macro. :S3: I would wish that the bud on the right wasn't touching the frame - should be an easy fix to add a little canvas there. Also, I think the image would be stronger if the butterfly was facing toward us rather than away. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your macro work! :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
10-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi Arnold, the repost as per Steve suggestions works really well. Very beautiful butterfly.

Arnold Dubin
10-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Andrew, Thanks for your comment about the redo of this photo. Arnold

Hi Arnold, the repost as per Steve suggestions works really well. Very beautiful butterfly.

Bob Miller
10-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I like the repost and the butterfly is simply beautiful!...... Well handled with nie sharpness where needed. You might consider taking a small slice off the bottom. I'm of two mind about the blue bg.....it is a beautiful blue and certainly works to set off the colors in the bfly but it also looks somewhat unnatural....I guess it depends on your vision! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Arnold Dubin
10-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Bob, Thanks for taking your time and providing me feedback on about my re-post. Hopefully tomorrow I'll post another macro butterfly image. Arnold

I like the repost and the butterfly is simply beautiful!...... Well handled with nie sharpness where needed. You might consider taking a small slice off the bottom. I'm of two mind about the blue bg.....it is a beautiful blue and certainly works to set off the colors in the bfly but it also looks somewhat unnatural....I guess it depends on your vision! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Nancy Bell
10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Have you considered using a tripod? For me it really helps getting the greatest sharpness possible. I think the brilliant blue bkgd is just fine. I'm from Colorado and this is what my sky usually looks like :S3:.

Arnold Dubin
10-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Nancy, I don't use a tripod because the butterflies are on the move all the time. I use my flash to freeze the action and it allows me narrow aperture opening for the best DOF. I have a tripod and use it all time when I photographing birds with my 500mm lens. I took this photo from below the butterfly and that is why the upper part of the wing was not as sharp. Arnold

Have you considered using a tripod? For me it really helps getting the greatest sharpness possible. I think the brilliant blue bkgd is just fine. I'm from Colorado and this is what my sky usually looks like :S3:.