PDA

View Full Version : Resting Cheetah

Hilary Hann
10-01-2011, 09:34 PM
One of four brothers which we found lying under a tree in the Mara Conservancy in January. I have processed this file using some suggested workflows for the 7D which Morkel kindly sent me. Interested in thoughts on the final processed image.

7D; 100-400 @ 400; ISO400; f8; 1/200

Steve Kaluski
10-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Hi Hilary, this is certainly a much 'cleaner' image, compared to previous ones and with no 'sootyness' too. :S3:

This just illustrates that the content, detail and clarity that has always been there within your images, but a slight change to your workflow and everything shines through. NO blown whites, and overall good colour.

Has there been any work on the eyes?

Now with this under your belt I think it would be worth revisiting some of your previous files, as this just proves you do not need the latest kit and conveys what a lot of us have said about your work. Well done Morkel. :5

TFS
Steve

Harshad Barve
10-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Nice pose and lovely eyes here
TFS

Hilary Hann
10-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Thanks Harshad, and thanks Steve.

Steve, no work on the eyes at all. Conscious of the comments recently regarding cheetah eyes being overworked, I decided to leave these alone and see what comments were made. I do think that processing through LR3 + CS5 is much cleaner than LR2 + CS3, and I am keen to try some of my earlier images and see how they compare.

Frankly, I was complicating things too much and am grateful for Morkel's "keep it simple, stupid" philosophy, on which I can build.

BTW, thank you Harshad for my 'thank you' which I'm just learning to come to terms with!! :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
10-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Steve, no work on the eyes at all. Conscious of the comments recently regarding cheetah eyes being overworked

Thanks.

You know I have always said from the start, simplicity is the way to go, more 'in camera', less PP and the images will look much better. Something I echoed in my talk last weekend. :w3

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Hilary I am so glad I could help you "get the most" out of your files. This has a clarity I have not seen from you! :5
Not the most ideal setting, but I do think adding some selective saturation to the cheetah will help add some punch here. Looking forward to more!

Dumay de Boulle
10-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I must say this is some of the best PP I have seen from you..I would also like to see more sat on the cheetah and less NR on the BG. Nice one Hillary

Steve Canuel
10-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Good work Hillary. It has a nice, clean look to it.

Hilary Hann
10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your support, much appreciated. I've taken on board the comments, thanks.

Pieter de Waal
10-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Hi Hillary, love the detail and sharpness, I agree with you on the eyes, for me they are just right. Was this a very pale Cheetah or is there more colour in the file ?

Hilary Hann
10-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Of the 4 cheetah, 2 appeared quite pale and this colour is pretty much how they looked. Almost a sandy colour. I've double checked all the photos I took, both in sun and in shade and they are very washed out. I made a point of trying to keep it close to what I saw, but it would be easy to increase saturation I guess and I could try to match it one of the brothers who was a richer colour. Just shows what sort of variations we see across Africa.

Rachel Hollander
10-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Hilary - This looks great, nice detail and sharpness. I like the variation in color that this depicts. Looks like the new work flow works. :S3:

TFS,
Rachel

Pieter de Waal
10-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the information Hilary, I was just curious as to the pale colour as I have never seen one this colour before, you are right about the variations in nature. This is a lot more noticeable in bird species where some differ from region to region within Southern Africa.