PDA

View Full Version : Staying in the Pinks

Roman Kurywczak
04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
My wife is still mad at me about this one.....I took this one a few years back, on film......E100VS and the enhancing filter of the Alaska Range (I was camped out in the wilderness area). As I was setting up on the road near North lake......one of the lodge buses pulled up. Out comes a guy with a Gilligan hat that I kind of recognize.......much small talk........I ask him if he's Brit Hume...for those of you who are too young......national news Washington correspondent.....in my sleeping bag later that night.......Hey! that was Charlie Gibson from Good Morning America (at the time, now national news correspondant).........my wife loves him! Oh well.....so much for being famous,
Roman
PS If you have to ask who is Gilligan.............never mind

Paul Marcellini
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Beautiful tones, I've heard color in the sky can be hard to come by in Alaska. I'm curious about his enhancing filter. Saturation boost for the film days?

I might crop to pano, like maybe under the break in pink.

Roman Kurywczak
04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey Paul,
I was hoping someone would bite! E100VS film was a very saturated (henceVS) that really accentuated the reds. If that wasn't enough.......I would throw on the enhancing filter.......which takes mild oranges and pinks......and jack them through the roof (imagine taking H&S and going to about 20). Before anyone gets crazy....YES you can do this with digital!!!.....but how do you know when you have gone overboard????.........if you have nothing to compare it to but your memories and what you think it should look like??? I have tried this expiriment with digital.........side by side........with filter and without.......the filter still works as intended...........it takes OK color.......and improves it! I'll try to post an example of this tomorrow to show the difference but I'm not sure I have it in digital.......and my scanner is down. If you use it too early in the evening or too late in the morning.....you get freakish looking results........it's not cheap! Buy the Glass one from Singh Ray or Lee........but as Robert A will chime in at some point........there are those who feel you don't need it! Not me!
Glad I got that off my chest!
Roman
PS I go to Miami every Christmas......I'll let you try mine before you buy!

Robert Amoruso
04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey,

I use GND filters for many landscapes. I have used this film plus a lot of the other super-saturated slide films back then. I am the one that usually says I like the saturated blue skies in the bird images while many don't.:p

I agree with Paul suggestion on the pano crop.

Gerald_Gilligan
04-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Roman,
This works for me, I think that this is extreme Galenesque...well maybe Romanesque... I have viewed some of your other images and see that you have " filter fascination".
The color draws the me to this image and for some reason it speaks to me.
PS I won't ask about you know who...
Jerry