PDA

View Full Version : Quoddy Head State Park, ME (the eastern most point of the continental United States.

Mike Hannisian
09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
I captured this image with a Canon 50D camera and a Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 lens at 70mm. My ISO was 100, my aperture was f/4.5, my shutter speed was 1/250, and my EV was 0.0. The camera was hand held. I cropped the image slightly but neither added nor removed anything. The land in the background is Campobello Island, Canada. The reason for the wide aperture was the fact that I did not need added dof as the lens was operating as a modest telephoto at 112mm which allowed me to stand back far enough to achieve the dof I desired.

Rachel Hollander
10-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Mike - nice scene and I like the composition and colors. I'm not sure how far to the right the middle rocks extended but if it wasn't too far, I would have preferred to include all rather than truncate it. If you had stopped down a bit, I think you would have had better sharpness throughout. There's a halo noticeable along the top of the trees on the lhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Mike Hannisian
10-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Mike - nice scene and I like the composition and colors. I'm not sure how far to the right the middle rocks extended but if it wasn't too far, I would have preferred to include all rather than truncate it. If you had stopped down a bit, I think you would have had better sharpness throughout. There's a halo noticeable along the top of the trees on the lhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Rachel, Thanks for the comments. The rocks extended to far to include them all. So far as the halo, I will reprocess the image (when I get some time) to eliminate that artifact. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jay Gould
10-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Mike, where was your point of focus since you are happy with an f/stop of 4.5?

If the subject of the scene is the whole scene, I cannot agree with such a wide open Av as the image is clearly soft in the foreground and background. Did you intend for a significantly soft border?

The rock in the middle of the scene; does it go for a long ways to the right? Could you have moved to the left so as to provide water on the right side of that middle rock?

Since there are no clouds high in the sky I would also consider cropping some of the negative blue and making more of a pano.

Cheers,

Mike Hannisian
10-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Mike, where was your point of focus since you are happy with an f/stop of 4.5?

If the subject of the scene is the whole scene, I cannot agree with such a wide open Av as the image is clearly soft in the foreground and background. Did you intend for a significantly soft border?

The rock in the middle of the scene; does it go for a long ways to the right? Could you have moved to the left so as to provide water on the right side of that middle rock?

Since there are no clouds high in the sky I would also consider cropping some of the negative blue and making more of a pano.

Cheers,

The lighthouse.

Andrew McLachlan
10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi Mike, agree with the previous comments and suggestions. To me the foreground rocks look rather flat, increasing the contrast will help with that. Even though you handheld the image I think you could have stopped down further for improved sharpness throughout.

Dave Mills
10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Mike, I agree with the above comments. I wouldn't have shot this lower than F11 and would probably have shot it at F16 or 22. At F4.5 your taking a chance an area will be soft. You made the investment in camera equiptment so I would suggest you get a tripod and ballhead if your planning on doing landscapes. This will enable you to shoot at lower shutter speeds without being concerned about camera shake. I wouldn't go out without one.
Lighting is everything in photography and this looks like it was shot sometime near mid day. Your best results and most dramatic images will come when you use early or late light.
I would crop the top a little below your name. Glad to see you avoided the merge between the mid rock and the rear shoreline...

Morkel Erasmus
10-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Hi Mike. I could not add more than Dave has pointed out. The lighting did you no favours here and the image overall as presented seems very soft...might be due to resizing without sharpening? Sorry if I come across as harsh :e3

Mike Hannisian
10-03-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks to all for your comments.

Ed Cordes
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I like the scene and the mood. On my monitor it looks a bit soft.

Robert Amoruso
10-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Morkel and Dave summed up my thoughts exactly.