PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Milkweed

Mark T Helm
09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I was out for a walk, it was raining but the light was good so I took a 16 image stack of this seed pod. Camera is on a tripod with a remote release. Post process Zerene Stacker and PSCS5
Camera Make = OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera Model = E-3
Exposure Time = 1/180 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop = ƒ/5.6
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Original Date/Time = 2011:09:21 09:28:04
Flash = n/a (8)
Focal Length = 150 mm

Steve Maxson
10-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi Mark. Nice job with the stacking - it has given you excellent DOF throughout your subject. Good detail on all the white "hairs." The overcast lighting works well here and all the tiny water droplets add interest. There is rather significant noise in the background which would be helped by a round of NR. I'm wondering if the comp might have been better as a vertical such that we could see both the top and bottom of the seed pod? As presented, I might suggest cropping a little from both sides. :S3: Nicely seen and captured!

Mark T Helm
10-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Mark. Nice job with the stacking - it has given you excellent DOF throughout your subject. Good detail on all the white "hairs." The overcast lighting works well here and all the tiny water droplets add interest. There is rather significant noise in the background which would be helped by a round of NR. I'm wondering if the comp might have been better as a vertical such that we could see both the top and bottom of the seed pod? As presented, I might suggest cropping a little from both sides. :S3: Nicely seen and captured!
Thanks Steve for the feedback and suggestions. I reprocessed and reduced the noise, I am working on my workflows for print and web and still get some steps confused. I don't have the top and bottom of the pod in the original composition which I now recognize as an error. I did try several different crops and this image does look better with some off each side.
Take care Mark

Arthur Morris
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Mark, All good but a vertical capture was the way to go with this long tall Sally subject. Thanks a stack for your membership support; I look forward to seeing lots of your images.

Anita Bower
10-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Stacking allowed you to get the pod sharp and the bg smooth! Nice job. Lovely small raindrops on the fibers of the pod.

Ken Childs
10-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Nice job of stacking, Mark! Fine hairs can be a problem with Zerene Stacker but it looks great here. I agree that a vertical with all of the pod and maybe all of the leaves would have been the way to go but if you crop from the sides as Steve suggested, you'll still end up with a nice shot. :S3: