PDA

View Full Version : Visitor To A Dahlia

Norm Dulak
09-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Canon PowerShot S90, hand held
ISO 320; f/5.6, 1/500 sec
Evaluative Metering -0.33
Post processing in PS CS5: levels and curves only; as framed, no crop

This Dahlia along the brick flower walk of Longwood Gardens caught my eye because of the many elements it presented. There are closed but developing buds, an emerging blossom, and a fully developed blossom, complete with an industrious visitor.

Your thoughts on this image will be appreciated.

Norm

Steve Maxson
10-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Norm. There is a lot to like here - the even light, interesting subject material, beautiful colors, good overall sharpness, and nice positioning of the bee. You might consider cropping from both sides to make this a vertical or square comp. :S3: Very nicely done!

Norm Dulak
10-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Steve.

Although this image was not cropped, I think your suggestions for cropping are worth exploring.

Norm

Anita Bower
10-03-2011, 06:01 AM
I love the colors and the shapes of the Dahlias. That half opened one nodding in front of the fully open one is just lovely. The bee is perfectly positioned. I agree about a crop.

Ken Childs
10-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Hey Norm, I third the suggestion of a tighter crop! If this were mine, I'd crop in tighter from the left, right and top, putting the bee close to the UL ROT position. Nice job on capturing some great colors! :S3:

Norm Dulak
10-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Hey Norm, I third the suggestion of a tighter crop! If this were mine, I'd crop in tighter from the left, right and top, putting the bee close to the UL ROT position. Nice job on capturing some great colors! :S3:

Thanks Ken.

I posted the un-cropped image to see what others would think. You make the crop suggestions unanimous, and I think all of you are right.

Norm