PDA

View Full Version : Grain elevator, Wilsall Montana

Ron Sprunger
09-29-2011, 08:21 PM
I love these old buildings and try to photograph them wherever I find them. This one is near where my grandfather homesteaded in 1914, and is no longer in use. I was taking my aunt (age 101 at the time) for a drive down memory lane last year, so we stopped and got this.

Nikon D700, Nikkor 18-35 f/3.5-4.5
f/11, 1/800, ISO 200, 28mm, hand-held, processed with Nik Silver Efex Pro
C&C most welcome and appreciated

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Ron - I like the b&w treatment and the angle of the bldg but would like a bit more room below and to the sides.

TFS,
Rachel

Ron Sprunger
09-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Went back and looked at the Raw -- I had only a small bit of extra at the sides, and lost it in perspective correction. There's nothing good to the right unless you go horizontal to get another set of old buildings. If I get another shot at it, I would indeed like to get more of the long reach to the Crazy Woman Mountains behind. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Andrew McLachlan
09-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Ron, I too love old agricultural buildings. Several steps backwards would have gave you the additional room needed. If I think I will have to use lens correction to straighten things out I always go a little extra wide to compensate for what will be lost in the correction. Love the black and white look to this for the old time feeling, but think I would like to see a touch more contrast in the scene. TFS

Ron Sprunger
10-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks Andrew. I played around (a lot!) with contrast before settling on what I have. Looking at this post on my work monitor, it looks very washed out at the bottom, but doesn't appear that way on the print or on my home monitor. I'll have to take a closer look tonight. The difficulty here is opening some of the shadow detail while keeping good contrast and avoiding blowout on the metal siding and roofing. I'm betting now that you're right, and there's better contrast to be had, especially at the bottom. I do appreciate the help.

Jerry van Dijk
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
You might try your hand at a pseudo HDR here, to improve contrasts and dynamic range. Lovely subject, may work well in color as well. I agree on a little room left and right (just empty space).