PDA

View Full Version : St Dominic's Church Ruins

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2011, 07:13 AM
This was created in LR and LRTimelapse. It's comprised of 396 individual images shot at 30s+ intervals. I used a Canon intervalometer set at 1s. The Canon intervalometer waits for the shutter to close and (I think) the disk write to complete before it trips the shutter hence the + at the end of the shutter speed. As in the prior video, passing traffic wreaked havoc on the image. To me it looks like lightning flashes but I would have preferred a completely dark site.

http://vimeo.com/29587441

Roger Clark
09-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Michael,

Another nice one. I can see the stars jump a little, so perhaps 20 seconds? Or a shorter focal length lens would reduce the jumping.
How do you downsize for the video, or do you work it at full resolution? The reason I ask, is if downsizing added pixels together, it would reduce noise and perhaps bring out fainter stars.

Roger

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Roger,

I'm not sure what Vimeo does to the image but I'm sure it's downsized. I created the video in Lightroom and I used jpgs, which is another minus. It works for putting together a rough cut but if I was going to create something for prime time I would use raw files with Premier Pro and AfterEffects. I could probably help the video out a little if I worked a little harder in post. The brightly lit scenes makes impossible to do a global edit though. This has definitely been and continues to be a learning curve but it's fun.

The jumping stars are probably a function of the frame rate that I chose. If I remember correctly I used 24fps. That's another one of those learning curve things. I haven't quite figured out how to decide which frame rate to use

Bob Pelkey
11-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Nice work. The star motion in the sky is remarkable. The flashes of light on the building I thought were from a camera's flash before reading your commentary. If you have a concern over them, I can only think to have the building illuminated somehow to an equal or greater extent each time your image is captured.

Bob Pelkey
11-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Michael,

Another nice one. I can see the stars jump a little, so perhaps 20 seconds? Or a shorter focal length lens would reduce the jumping.
How do you downsize for the video, or do you work it at full resolution? The reason I ask, is if downsizing added pixels together, it would reduce noise and perhaps bring out fainter stars.

Roger
The star "jumping" is only noticed here in the last few seconds of the video.