PDA

View Full Version : Curio Bay, South Island, NZ

Jay Gould
09-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Here Comes The Sun

The previous morning there wasn't much sun and so I gave you an image of the channel on the other side of the Bay: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87557-Curio-Bay-South-Island-NZ?highlight=curio+bay.

Today, the sun did what it is supposed to do - it rose in all its glory!!

Nice to be processing and posting again.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 2 May 11; 5:25AM
Light condition: sunrise
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:35mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 160
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 25 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GNDs and RGNDs
Crop: approx 1/3
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Robert Amoruso
09-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Near perfect Jay. I like the FG seaweed, rushing water, silky water and the sky color (would tone done bright bright yellow on the lower part of the ridge).

I would have like to see a bit more detail in the ridge - that is why I said near perfect. A bit of shadow/highlight correction for the shadows and Perfecto.

Andrew McLachlan
09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi Jay, love the crop and the colors are fantastic. Nice shutter speed to blur the ocean waves. Agree with Robert on toning down the brightest yellow. Very nice!

Jay Gould
09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Guys, interesting you focus on the ridge, and the suggestion is to provide more detail. In actuality, at that time of the morning and the distance involved, the ridge was actually a silhouette with no detail whatsoever.

The only reason there is some detail is due to the 25sec exposure. I actually processed a version with the ridge darkened to eliminate the detail and represent what I actually saw - didn't like it - too dark.

I also discussed with my brother, Steve, who I am still twisting arms with to get him to play here with us - he is a wonderful landscape photographer with lots of knowledge. Steve suggested I create more contrast between the foreground and the midground; he also reminded me that we create digital art and it is not necessarily what we see and capture at the moment - it is what we ultimately create that is pleasing.

So, taking all of the suggestions I first played with the S&H Panel [http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-765da.html]- didn't like the global adjustments that it made to a copy of the image. As an aside, Robert, it would be wonderful when you have nothing to do :eek3: for your excellent tutorials to be updated. :bg3:

Then I went to the trusty burn and dodge approach. I like this approach because you can do it every so slowly with very low opacities either peeling the onion or adding layers. I did nothing to the midground (the water), two 10% burns of the foreground; an overall 10% dodge to the sky and the cliffs; finally two more 10% dodges to the cliffs.

I am happy; are you?

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Jay - repost looks good. What a fabulous sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
09-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi, if you want a real treat and you are not familiar with Kah Kit Yoong, take a moment to enjoy his exceptional images. This is a link to an image made roughly at the same time from a location further to my right: http://www.magichourtravelscapes.com/photo.php?id=837&gallery=nz2011

I spent 18 days under KKY's tutelage: it was magic and I can't wait to join him again somewhere in the the World.

When I looked back at KKY's image and the magnificent strong sky I decided that I should not have lightened my OP sky.

Accordingly, this is my present final image (until it is processed again)!

Andrew McLachlan
09-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Jay, Kah Kit Yoong produces many fine images, I have been to his website numerous times. Nice final repost!

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Lovely sky and composition here Jay. I am with Robert's assessment of the OP, but do feel you might have been too 'heavy' on the S/H tool in the repost. Maybe just use the burn tool to darken the ridge a bit gain, yet retain the detail?