PDA

View Full Version : St. Dominic's Church

Michael Lloyd
09-28-2011, 10:28 PM
This was created from a group of 296 images captured at a little over 30s intervals and then processed with an action called Star Circle Academy Stacker V5. This is my first time to use the action or even create trails. The images were used to create a time lapse (it's on the DSLR forum here)

I cropped it a little. A couple of cars drove by during the shoot. That's why the fence is so hot.

denise ippolito
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Michael, "I've got raw unbridled talent when it comes to making mistakes." I just love that! I am wondering what took you so long to post in OOTB. Neat image, I am still trying to wrap my brain around it. I kind of wish the large thick white trail on the right were not so thick. I might tone down that fence now that you mention it.:S3:

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi Denise :S3:

I guess I just needed to get out of my box and try some different things.

The thick white trail is the planet Jupiter. I haven't looked closely but it may be possible to see the trails of some of its moons.

That fence irritates me lol It's barely visible in most of the images. Every time a car drove by it would flood the scene with light. I was shooting 30s exposures so even a "drive by" would add a lot of light to the scene. Blending the bright frames in with the dark frames was a plus in just about everything but the fence :c3:

I've got a lot of ideas for future shoots so hopefully we will meet here again

I just realized that I hadn't put the time lapse of the image sequence in the DSLR video section so I added it. The video should give you an idea for how the trail image was created

LINK (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/89891-St-Dominic-s-Church-Ruins)

denise ippolito
09-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Michael, I just checked out the link. The cars acted kind of like light painting. Neat flick. I look forward to more of these images. Not sure if you will like the warmed up version with a slight glow added but I have attached it just in case.:S3: I may have gone a little too heavy w/ the warmth but I think you get the idea.

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Hey! That's it. That's how it's supposed to look! lol I like it. I didn't spend a lot of time in post (post). I called it post (post) because the process of stacking took about 10 or 15 minutes and then there was post processing in photoshop.

Very nice. I like the improvement a lot. Thank you.

Did you happen to check the other two videos out? The other time lapse is a motion time lapse. It's constructed in a similar way as this one but the camera moves. The Big Bend video is a work in progress. I'm about 1/2 way through reworking it to be HD quality, trim out some duplicate images, etc.

St. Dominic's Cemetery Time Lapse (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/89726-St.-Dominic-s-Cemetery)

Big Bend (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/88644-A-tour-of-Big-Bend)

denise ippolito
09-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Michael, It's fantastic. I especially like the grass silhouette with the sun peeking out from the horizon with the rays of light. Nice job!

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks Denise :S3:

Honestly... I could shoot in Big Bend a thousand more times and still find new places and subjects to shoot there. Every time that I think that I've seen it all I find 100 more places to go.

Mitch Carucci
09-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Nice foreground image. Love the star trails. I have never tried star trails, our sky has too much light pollution. So my question is why did you have to combine images, and not just use one real long exposure?
Thanks.

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I was shooting a time lapse and I hadn't even thought of star trails until someone mentioned that they might work with the building.

I like the fact that the trails came through the doors and windows

Cheryl Slechta
09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Michael, I hope we see more of your work - this is stunning:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
09-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi Michael, this is very cool. Love the image. i don't mind the fence that much. As Denise said it looks kinda like light painting. Very nice work!

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks Cheryl and Andrew. This was my first star trail attempt. I like it well enough that I'll be doing more as time permits. For me, the hard part is finding something interesting to put in the foreground. No sense in wasting a good challenge :bg3:

Maureen Allen
09-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Michael, this is so awesome! Loved your other two videos too! I think I have to go find a cemetary :bg3: