SS 1/640
F 5.6
A bit of canvas added on the bottom
Taken at 7:04 AM September 27, 2011
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Arthur Morris
09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Removing the TC would have been the way to go. As presented, needs a bit more sharpening. Nice turn of the head to go with the body slightly angled away.

gail bisson
09-28-2011, 08:12 PM
A bit sharper for you Artie!:S3:

Arthur Morris
09-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Better, but still way too big in the frame for me; needs more room all around. Plus, if you have taken off the TC the image would have been a bit sharper right out of the box :S3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice light and reflection Gail. I would consider adding some to the top and right side if you can.

Troy Lim
09-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Agree on the sharpening and more room around it. Killer reflection

gail bisson
09-29-2011, 09:27 AM
OK. Let's hope the third time is a charm. I returned the image to full frame, then added 10% canvas on the bottom. I then sharpened even more. Is this better? Am I hopeless...?!

Stu Bowie
09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Gail, dont run yourself down - your repost rocks, as the sharpening is so much better. I love the calmness of the water, although it looks like there was a slight breeze to spoil a perfect reflection. I do agree with Artie, being a tad smaller in the frame would have worked a little better.

arash_hazeghi
09-29-2011, 10:45 AM
love the pose and nice warm tones, the sharpness in the repost is much better

Arthur Morris
09-29-2011, 11:07 AM
OK. Let's hope the third time is a charm. I returned the image to full frame, then added 10% canvas on the bottom. I then sharpened even more. Is this better? Am I hopeless...?!

Lots to say :S3:. First, my very great preference is to have more room below the bird than above.... Unless you can verbalize an excellent reason for doing otherwise. Second, the image looks sharp but not super sharp... (That said I do not have a great eye for fine detail but in this image the detail seems a tiny bit muddy for lack of a better word.... Perhaps because the middle-tones for this species should pretty much be light gray not sort of dark brown.... Did you already lighten this? What was the in-camera exposure compensation? Three: on those killer still mornings I look to go wider instead of tighter; that's why I suggested removing the TC for this one....

Four: you have what I see as excellent potential--heck, you have already posted lots of very good to excellent images as I recall. You can make sharp images with long glass and TCs. And you have a pretty good eye for composition. How long have you been photographing?

Nancy Bell
09-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Gail & All. This was a very good learning series of images and comments. Thanks!

gail bisson
09-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Thank you all for your comments. As I reread my 3rd post, I realize I sounded kind of whiny and defeated ...and I am not like that at all!!:S3: I love a challenge!
Artie, I got my first DSLR in June 2009 but didn't start getting into birds until I did a workshop with Chris Dodds in May 2010. The EV was +2/3 on this shot and I did not lighten the picture at all.
I went out this AM and practiced removing the TC while on my knees and in the mud and with cold hands! It took a couple of minutes but I should get faster at doing it in the field. So, the next time I am out - and with your wise words still in my head, I will take off the TC!
Gail

Emily Norman
09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
You didn't sound whiny :-) This is very beautiful and the warm light really adds to the feel of the image. I like the second post after you sharpened a bit more. As for more space, it may have helped a bit but then again, sometimes it is nice to see a good close-up.

Arthur Morris
09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Thank you all for your comments. As I reread my 3rd post, I realize I sounded kind of whiny and defeated ...and I am not like that at all!!:S3: I love a challenge!
Artie, I got my first DSLR in June 2009 but didn't start getting into birds until I did a workshop with Chris Dodds in May 2010. The EV was +2/3 on this shot and I did not lighten the picture at all.
I went out this AM and practiced removing the TC while on my knees and in the mud and with cold hands! It took a couple of minutes but I should get faster at doing it in the field. So, the next time I am out - and with your wise words still in my head, I will take off the TC! Gail

Knowing the 7D and considering the early morning light I would have guessed that close to +2 stops would have yielded a good histogram.... The too dark mid-tones gave the bird a dark, muddy look. My repost lightened the mid-tones and gives a good idea of how I would have went compositionally.... I take many images with the TC in my left hand dripping with salt water or covered by sand. Or both.

I'd suggest getting copies of ABP (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=16) and ABP II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=19) to get a better handle on exposure (and everything else that you need to know). :e3 If you own them you need to get studying.... Order both (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=84) and save $10.

Arthur Morris
09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
ps: Could have used still a bit more room in front of the bird. Going vertical would have worked from the get go.

Grace Scalzo
09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Is the lack of sharpness in the head here not a depth of field issue? Looks like it to me. Artie's work looks true. I try to always have a pocket handy for my tc's and also keep a pencil eraser handy as I've had a couple issues with dirty contacts, I'm sure caused by the way I handle the Tc's. (Not always optimal for cleanliness).

gail bisson
09-29-2011, 06:02 PM
This has been a great tutorial thread for me and I want to thank everyone for their input.
Artie, I did take some verticals:S3: so I will play with them and perhaps post another,
Gail
PS. I do own ABP II and the Digital Basics but not the 7D guide.

Karl Egressy
10-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Great image, with nice, reflection, Gail.
I have to admit that I like Artie's version the best but the original looks good too.