PDA

View Full Version : White Naped Woodpecker (Ranthambore)

Ishmeet Sahni
09-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Camera: 40D + EF 1.4x EFII TC
Exposure : 1/250
F-Stop: 6.3
Bias : +1/3
ISO : 800

Sorry for the size of the image. I tried posting it with a size of 609 x 1000, but was unable to upload the image.
Hence, I had to resize the image to the present size. I am aware it has become a smaller than it should be, but..........

I have cropped the image from the right and from the top. The tree is in the extreme left of the frame in the CR2 also.
It may feel a bit cramped, but there was nothing that I could think of, any suggestions.......please.

Arthur Morris
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Ishmeet-bhai, 800 px high is the limit for verticals :S3:. Killer beautiful bird. Try to push the shutter button when the bird's head is parallel to the back of the camera or turned toward you a bit; here it is unfortunately turned away from you.... You might wish to eliminate the extra branch sticking into the frame in the upper right corner. Is this an easy bird to photograph? It sure is skinny!

Thanks a huge stack for your membership support.

Ishmeet Sahni
09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Arthur, thanks for your ever enlightening comments. This is the first time I had ever seen this beauty. The most common Woodpecker around is the "Greater Flameback".
This one to me seems to be a female, on account of the yellow crown, may be that is the reason it is skinny. Arthur, I don't think woodpeckers are ever easy birds to photograph,
on account that they never stay in a position longer than a few seconds.

I will try your shooting technique the next time I get a chance.:S3: Thanks.

Arthur Morris
09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Ishmeet. I was hoping against hope. Best of luck getting another chance on this beauty, or maybe the male???

Daniel Cadieux
09-28-2011, 06:55 PM
A beautiful bird indeed with some great colours.!! Great IQ, but as Artie pointed out having a better head angle would have made the image stronger. Perfect composition:S3:

Emily Norman
09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
What a gorgeous bird! This is a very strong image, I do agree about cloning out the oof branch if possible. Great capture!

gail bisson
09-28-2011, 08:04 PM
That is one amazing woodpecker. Agree with all of the above! Nice BG and I like the diagonal line the tree trunk makes,
Gail

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh he's so little and cute. I too wish for a little better HA but I like the colors and diagonal perch. Ditto on removing the small branch.

Ishmeet Sahni
09-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Thank you all for your comments, noted and much appreciated.

Mital Patel
09-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Absolute marvelous image Ishmeet bhai, Indeed they are **** hard to freeze in correct position as they never stay still for even fraction of second i may say :S3:

Stu Bowie
09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
A vertical was the only way to go here, and I like the colours on this woodpecker. HA mentioned, and I would maybe leave a bit more room below for the 'virtual' tail.