Melissa Groo
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Canon 7D
500mm
Gitzo/Wimberley

ISO 400
f/11
1/100

Taken in Feb this year down in Fort Myers, FL, in early morning. BG is a pond that was misty. I wish the OoF grass wasn't there in the corner and that I had more room below. I'm also aware that it needs a CW rotation but not much I can do about that or I will lose the tail. But I liked the look back pose and the beauty of this elegant creature.
Some cloning out of stuff in the water, sharpening, NR, contrast via Curves. Top and sides have been cropped a bit.
Thank you for looking, all C & C most appreciated!

Mital Patel
09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
what a closeup.
Yes to the rotation and oof grass blades and i think need more room too. But as you were upclose cant do much.

with the fact of that. I will give contrast boost as it looks too flat and some USM as well.

Melissa Groo
09-28-2011, 12:49 PM
what a closeup.
Yes to the rotation and oof grass blades and i think need more room too. But as you were upclose cant do much.

with the fact of that. I will give contrast boost as it looks too flat and some USM as well.

here's a repost with some USM (.3, 75) and a boost in contrast... better?

Jim Fenton
09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Love the mist, beautiful colors in the soft light on the bird and about the best HA you're going to get from this position.

Agree that it looks a bit cramped on the left side.

I would try and tone that grass down if at all possible.

Amy Marques
09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi Melissa, you have a beauty here! It has a painterly look to it and I really love that! I agree about the image needing more space. Also, it does need more contrast. In Levels, move the center arrow over the right. You may have to lighten the image overall after that. Hope this helps!

Randy Stout
09-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Melissa:

Nice look back pose, great color in the lores, good feather detail.

Yes, too tight and the green is pretty strong. First approach from me would be to tone down the brightest green reed to match the darker ones, less attention getting that way( probably what Jim had in mind as well)

Cheers

Randy

Nancy Bell
09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
There is something about the softness of the morning light that does make this look like a painting. The colors, especially in the head, are lovely. The 2nd post is an improvement. I agree with others about the over-brightness of the green grass.

Amy Marques
09-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Melissa, I did a quick edit which included adding some contrast to the midtones and softening the brightness of the grass and neck area.

Melissa Groo
09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Amy, that looks much better! Thank you so much! You really made it pop. And that was a good idea to soften the brightness of the neck, that hadn't occurred to me.
I could probably still reduce the brightness of the one lightest grass blade.
Thanks to all for your comments.

Daniel Cadieux
09-28-2011, 06:44 PM
The blacks did need some punch, glad Amy pointed it out. I think the image does not need rotation. One thing to have tried out in the field was to open up the aperture...wide open...to soften the grasses in the lower corner. It may have give a neat effect.

BTW, great pose by the Anhinga...good job in waiting for the perfect head turn!!

Arthur Morris
09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Looks quite level to me. Amy's repost is a huge improvement. I love the green llc but would lose the horizontal yellow stalk cutting through the grass. Killer male and a beautiful image. Where?

Melissa Groo
09-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Looks quite level to me. Amy's repost is a huge improvement. I love the green llc but would lose the horizontal yellow stalk cutting through the grass. Killer male and a beautiful image. Where?

Artie, this was taken beside my in laws backyard pond at their home in East Fort Myers. I set up a blind and went out very early.

Arthur Morris
09-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks. Nice digs I imagine. :)

Melissa Groo
09-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks. Nice digs I imagine. :)

You betcha. Every feb I stay just a little bit longer....

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Love the pose and head turn Melissa. I was so wanting some contrast and thereit is in the repostof Amy's. (awesome PS work Amy) I really like how the birds tail touches the water . After seeing the bird pop more the grases work better for me as they seem softer now .

Amy Marques
09-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks!

Mital Patel
09-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Melissa,

Amy's version is what i had in mind for contrast boost. Superb frame again of that snake bird we call em but facial colors we miss here

arash_hazeghi
09-29-2011, 02:46 AM
great I like the repost with more contrast and would sharpen a bit more. very handsome bird!