PDA

View Full Version : Red stag in heather

Gerald Kelberg
09-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Seldom have an opportunity to post on this forum, although I do enjoy visiting it often! So, I thought I would share this stag - he was trotting through the heather, rounding up his harem and occasionally bellowing to other stags in the area to assert his dominance.

I like the trotting posture and the raised head commencing the bellow. I'm also pleased with the colour from the heather which is really past its best now.

The complex background was always going to be a problem, but I feel the rack holds against the background trees adequately, albeit less than ideal. The 5d MkII has given a good result at a high ISO.

Colour adjustments in LR, then into PS4 for some detail work including Topaz, and adding some contrast. Would appreciate suggestions on how I might improve the post processing.

Canon 5d MkII with EF500 f/4L IS. 1/250 sec at f/4, ISO 1600 on Gitzo tripod, manual exposure

Thanks,

Gerald

Robert Amoruso
09-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Gerald,

Overall, this image is very pleasing to view - it is well composed. Besides getting him bellowing, the FG and BG accentuate with well in both color and texture. DOF is just right so BG is discernible but not distracting. Nicely executed.

David Stephens
09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
You have every right to be pleased with the colors. I think the green tree background really accentuates the colors of the antlers and it's enough OOF not to distract. ISO 1600 is no big challenge for the 5D MkII so long as you don't underexpose, which you didn't. Wonderful animal in a great environment, well captured.

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2011, 02:27 AM
Hi Gerald, good to see these guys being posted, a nice comparison to the Elks being posted. :w3

The habitat is also a nice touch, with some good strong colours like the heather. Personally I might have liked a little more at the foot of the image and less above, but not a big deal. Be good next time if you could get some shots early in the morning, bellowing and a bit of breath perhaps. Hope to see more.

Pieter de Waal
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Gerald , I like the colours, pose and overall feel of the image. I dont find the BG distracting at all as the detail and sharpness of the stag make him stand out. TFS.

Gerald Kelberg
09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
The "Post a Thank you" is something new to me, so I am going to thank you all in the old way.

Thanks, your comments mean a lot to me. Steve - more at the foot would have been more of the blurred very close heather which is less attractive, I think. I look forward to trying some more opportunities with different light and different timing - perhaps some snow.

Regards,

Gerald

Morkel Erasmus
09-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Good to see you posting here, Gerald! Love the details on this stag, and the colours all around. Agree with Steve on it being just a tad tight at the bottom, but it certainly is no deal-breaker. :bg3:
He certainly is a fine specimen...

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Gerald, could you post the FF image, sometimes a bit of 'mush' can work nicely. :S3:

cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Very nice bugling pose and I really like the heather as an environment. Nice detail and sharpness too.

TFS,
Rachel

Charles Glatzer
09-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Gerald,

A very nice image of a huge stag.

Tip...make a rough outline around the stag with the Lasso tool, invert the selection (Cmd, Shft I), create a Levels Adjustment layer and darken the background as desired, Select Mask Tab and Feather approx 80. This is a great technique .... let me know what you think. The image will have a bit more 3D and the stag will POP!.

Best,

Chas

Gerald Kelberg
09-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Mork, thanks for your comments - hope you had a great Birthday!

Steve, I had lost the mush at an early stage of PP so don't have it to add back in - maybe something I need to re-think - but i do have more space behind and was able to add a centimeter behind the stag that gets him more out of the corner.

Chas, many thanks for the tip! I tried it and it really did give that extra pop that the image needed.

Best wishes,

Gerald

Steve Canuel
09-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Impressive animal, nice pose, and great habitat and colors. Wouldn't have thought it needed extra "pop" but the repost makes it even better.

Harshad Barve
10-01-2011, 06:07 AM
this is awesome image and repost took this over the top
TFS

Charles Glatzer
10-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Gerald,

The re-post looks great. Glad the tip worked, wink.

Best,

Chas

DanWalters
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Like the pose and the purple vegetation. Adds some nice color to the image.