PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah interest before stalk

Mark Wiseman
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I had watched 3 male cheetah for 10 hours and a torrential thunderstorm downpour brought my viewing to an end for the day, or so I thought. On the way back to camp I came across this male cheetah and following the rains he started to stalk a hartebeest calf in the distance. This is at the start of the stalk, I like the raised paw, the wet fur and the eye contact on the distant prey together with the soft light.
Camera details:
Canon EOS 1Ds MkII
Canon EF500mm f4 lens
ISO 400
Aperture f4
Shutterspeed 1/400
Exp comp +1 stop
No flash and the image was processed using ACR and CS5. I now use a different sharpening method. Comments and advice welcome. Many thanks, Mark.

Hilary Hann
09-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Mark, I like all the things you have mentioned. The raised paw is the icing on the cake in this image. I'll let others comment on IQ and any improvements which may be made as I am having all sorts of problems with my IQ at present.

David Stephens
09-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Mark, that's a super pose. Without you saying anything we suspect what's going on. The framing of his head with bokeh and his body and feet with the grasses really make this a portrait that he's going to want to show his mate. I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for the long, persistant wait.

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Mark - it's a good wet look and he looks hungry. Like the alert pose and raised paw. The fg environment works well though I might prefer a tad more space below. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Rudi van den Heever
09-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Thant raised front leg makes this image! You have just proved that one does not need great weather to make a great image!:w3

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Hi Mark, I also agree the alert pose brings a nice touch to the image. Still away so viewing on laptop, but first impression colour IQ looks OK and the eyes look right, not brightened. I like as presented, but also you could also try a slightly tighter crop too. might emphasis that pose/stare?

TFS
Steve

Ishmeet Sahni
09-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Mark, this image is perfect for me at least. The stare, the raised paw, the wet fur all things just perfect ingredients for this image........
Hats Off.......

Pieter de Waal
09-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Mark nice pose and love the concentrated stare, colours look good as well considering the weather.

Steve Canuel
09-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Great pose and I also like the BG tree line. Eyes seem a little redder/browner and darker than most cheetahs posted on here (not a criticism, just an observation). Perhaps due to conditions?

Steve Kaluski
10-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Eyes seem a little redder/browner and darker than most cheetahs posted on here (not a criticism, just an observation). Perhaps due to conditions?

Very much so Steve, sometimes they can be over worked, but this looks were natural and in keeping with the conditions IMHO.

Harshad Barve
10-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Excellent pose and IQ here
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Love the pose and the wet look here, Mark...eyes look perfect for the conditions described. I would be tempted to take some off the top?? :Whoa!:

DanWalters
10-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Very nice. Like the vertical composition and the raised paw. Nice color as well.