PDA

View Full Version : Foundation

Jay Sheinfield
09-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Judging by the smaller size of the nearby abandoned houses, this Adobe foundation would have been a size fit for the wealthy. I wonder if the house was ever finished, or lived in. To the left is another graded area for another large size structure. Suggests to me that the dream of living in this picturesque mountain basin was never realized.

Simplify, light application. Light balancing and, slight glow foreground to background gradient. Shadow work on Photoshop. Hope you like it..........

Dave Mills
09-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi Jay, remember "oh purple mountains majesty" which pretty much describes the scene. Since it was shot on an overcast day the richness of the color and contrast is helping to carry the image. Since the sky has detail I might expand that just a bit more(but not much) The location of the river,building and distant road are all well placed. I would be curious to see the image with a bit more stream at it's base otherwise well handled!

Christopher Miller
09-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Beautiful, inspiring scene, Jay. I love all the detail and the rich colors. Very nice composition too. I agree with Dave on a little more sky perhaps. Very well done!

Kerry Perkins
09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Jay, lovely colors and detail. I especially like the dark greens on the trees against the black shadows and those purple peaks... Super image! Nice subtle yet effective use of the filters. I wouldn't mind having a go at living there. :c3:

Indranil Sircar
09-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Simply awesome! Love the mountains with the winding road and its colors... very soothing and wonderful composition. Excellent processing.

Anita Bower
09-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I'd be happy to live there! What a gorgeous setting. Interesting about the house foundation. I like the pp you did--just the right touch. Beautiful colors and light. Where is this? Also, what do you mean by "light balancing?"

Jay Sheinfield
09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I'd be happy to live there! What a gorgeous setting. Interesting about the house foundation. I like the pp you did--just the right touch. Beautiful colors and light. Where is this? Also, what do you mean by "light balancing?"

Hi Anita, Thanks for the kind words. It's called Animis Forks, Colorado. Very beautiful and interesting old mining ghost town. About 11,000 ft, so you only want to be there in the summer. Light Balancing is a phrase I use when I brighten foreground elements and darken/reduce contrast on background elements in a gradient fashion to achieve a sense of depth. In this image the foreground is relatively bright and saturated, which I then reduce in the mid-ground area, then in the background I reduce contrast for a haze effect. Help that explains it..............:S3:

Anita Bower
09-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Anita, Thanks for the kind words. It's called Animis Forks, Colorado. Very beautiful and interesting old mining ghost town. About 11,000 ft, so you only want to be there in the summer. Light Balancing is a phrase I use when I brighten foreground elements and darken/reduce contrast on background elements in a gradient fashion to achieve a sense of depth. In this image the foreground is relatively bright and saturated, which I then reduce in the mid-ground area, then in the background I reduce contrast for a haze effect. Help that explains it..............:S3:
Thanks for your explanation. That is what I thought, but your explanation taught me something about landscape photography. :S3:

Jay Sheinfield
09-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks everyone, feedback always appreciated. Darker sky and more water in the foreground should do it!

Arthur Morris
09-28-2011, 08:33 PM
I was not expecting much from the thumbnail so I was surprised to find a delightful image waiting for more. Love the look and the impeccable rule of thirds design. Th zig zag line of the road/stream adds to the pleasing COMP. Sky, mountains, vegetation--everything fits together perfectly.

Jay Sheinfield
09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I was not expecting much from the thumbnail so I was surprised to find a delightful image waiting for more. Love the look and the impeccable rule of thirds design. Th zig zag line of the road/stream adds to the pleasing COMP. Sky, mountains, vegetation--everything fits together perfectly.

Art, thanks for the kind words.:S3:

Arthur Morris
09-29-2011, 06:45 AM
YAW. Honest but gentle is what I strive for :S3:.

denise ippolito
09-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Jay, I thought I commented on this one. I guess I forgot to hit submit- whoops. I love the scene with the mountains and the stream. Very nice filtering!:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
09-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Denise, thanks.........