PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Dam Mountain

Ron Sprunger
09-26-2011, 11:51 PM
This is in the Beaver Dam Mountain Wilderness Area, right about where Utah, Arizona, and Nevada come together. I think it's in Arizona, but am not sure. Looking to the left from where I stood, you're looking down into Nevada and the Beaver Dam Wash area (there's a bird refuge there). Could have used some clouds, but sometimes you take what you can get.

Nikon D7000, Tokina 11-16mm, hand-held
f/16, 1/125, ISO 400, @11.5mm, focus on the small Joshua Tree branch front left center.

Jay Gould
09-27-2011, 02:25 AM
I am sorry but it doesn't work for me because the Joshua's do not pop and they are the anchor. I am not seeing your trees as tack sharp and for this to work they need to be tack sharp. I do think the approach is good; it just doesn't work for me. Others might feel differently.

Valerio Tarone
09-27-2011, 06:41 AM
I'm not pleased I quite agree with Jay. Better to focus on the Josua trees. i realise the shadows are low and in part are frontal: not well. You should have wait and choose a better time to shoot.

Ron Sprunger
09-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Jay and Valerio, thanks for looking and commenting. Though I think I lost something in cutting this down for web, your points are valid, and the greasewood is truly not sharp. I appreciate your observations, and will consider them next time.

Andrew McLachlan
09-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi Ron, the mostly frontlit scene is a little flat looking. If you can try to visit here at the edge of the day where some strong side lighting might just make those Joshua trees pop. One of the Joshua Trees on the right side looks a little clipped or very close to the edge of the comp, watch out for this and if you can, try to give such elements a little more room along the edges. It looks like a very nice place and well worth exploring for more photo opportunities.:S3:

Ron Sprunger
09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks Andrew, I appreciate you taking the time. Sounds like good advice.

Robert Amoruso
09-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Ron,

I would agree that the light is just not right here. I feel the plants in the FG blend it too much with the immediate BG and get lost. Perhaps it would have been better here to concentrate on the rock outcroppings in the BG and the interesting details in them.

I will always try to simplify my compositions when presented with elements that make not come toget

Ron Sprunger
09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Thank you Robert. I don't shoot much landscape, and don't feel I have any particular skill in that area. This post was, more than anything, to get an idea what I should be thinking about if I want to improve in this area. Beaver Dam Mountain is a bit over 300 miles south of my home, but I have to go to St. George about once a month, and happened to find this spot mid-morning, after pursuing Quail at dawn. I intend to make an early morning or evening visit in the near future, and try again. This time I'll use the tripod and try to follow the advice you and the others have provided here. The advice is much appreciated.

Jay Sheinfield
10-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you Robert. I don't shoot much landscape, and don't feel I have any particular skill in that area. This post was, more than anything, to get an idea what I should be thinking about if I want to improve in this area. Beaver Dam Mountain is a bit over 300 miles south of my home, but I have to go to St. George about once a month, and happened to find this spot mid-morning, after pursuing Quail at dawn. I intend to make an early morning or evening visit in the near future, and try again. This time I'll use the tripod and try to follow the advice you and the others have provided here. The advice is much appreciated.

Hey Ron, I think you got some interesting feedback for you to consider. I don't know about you, but when someone tells me an image doesn't work, then I get to work!:S3: Now, I'm no more experienced at landscape then you are, so you can take my feedback with a grain of salt, but you saw something in this image and so did I. Inevitably, there may be a better lighting situation..........but here goes, its fun and useful to try and make it better anyway.........hope you don't mind, its fast and a bit sloppy and too saturated, but you get the idea..........:S3:

Ron Sprunger
10-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks Jay, I absolutely am determined to incorporate the ideas given in another try. Nice job of defining and containing the Joshua trees, and it illustrates the advice given very well. Don't think I can personally live with anywhere near that degree of saturation, but that certainly points out the need for more drama in the scene. I appreciate your effort.

Jay Sheinfield
10-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks Jay, I absolutely am determined to incorporate the ideas given in another try. Nice job of defining and containing the Joshua trees, and it illustrates the advice given very well. Don't think I can personally live with anywhere near that degree of saturation, but that certainly points out the need for more drama in the scene. I appreciate your effort.

Ron.....yup, I had no idea how red the rocks were..........i did it just for the heck of it.