PDA

View Full Version : One legged Sandpiper

Gavin Slabbert
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Each time I post an image on this site I learn so much, and my images improve. This is my latest effort at applying Arts PS techniques.

Thanks again for your help, opinions and suggestions.

Image Info:
Canon 5D MK II
ISO 200
f/4
1/6400
Focal length 400mm
Exposure Bias -1/3rd
External flash fitted with Better Beamer
FEC -2

http://sanddollarimaging.com/images/BirdPhotography/sandpiper.jpg

Jeff Cashdollar
09-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Gavin,

Glad to hear you are learning, so are we. We have plenty more to share this year. We will be doing more on composition soon, please post away. regarding this image. it is a tad tight for me. The foreground does not provide a smooth transition into the frame. Might want to crop a small layer from the bottom or even clone detail into the OOF areas, let's see what others say. Nice job with flash, a nice layer of fill light. The picture has a clean frame and the subject well presented, nice job exposing for the bright ares too. The shutter was real fast (almost overkill) with low ISO, must had plenty of light. What lens was used. This is a nice photo, telling a story of the rough and tumble of nature. As you know birds can survive well with one leg, for that I am very thankful.

Kerry Perkins
09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Gavin, I'm assuming the 400mm f/4 DO lens. Sweet piece of glass! I love the sharpness, color rendition, and exposure. The image is definitely tight, especially on the right - would add there and also on the top and left. Very nice use of fill flash and lovely background. Lots to like!

Gavin Slabbert
09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Gavin,

Glad to hear you are learning, so are we. We have plenty more to share this year. We will be doing more on composition soon, please post away. regarding this image. it is a tad tight for me. The foreground does not provide a smooth transition into the frame. Might want to crop a small layer from the bottom or even clone detail into the OOF areas, let's see what others say. Nice job with flash, a nice layer of fill light. The picture has a clean frame and the subject well presented, nice job exposing for the bright ares too. The shutter was real fast (almost overkill) with low ISO, must had plenty of light. What lens was used. This is a nice photo, telling a story of the rough and tumble of nature. As you know birds can survive well with one leg, for that I am very thankful.

Thanks for your input Jeff,

I was lying down on what looked like flat sand at the waters edge so I was very surprised how tight and shallow the DOF was for this shot, and yeah there was tons of light for so early in the day, this was shot at about 8am, and I had a Canon 400 f/2.8 loaner to test, and I did not have a drop in ND filter that this lens would need to slow down the shutter speed.

This was my 1st series of shots with that lens. I have been shooting with a 200m f/2.8 with a "Canon VIII 2x converter" but no matter what anyone says a prime lens is FAR superior to that combination. Simply by shooting with the correct lens took my bird shots up a few notches, pity I cannot afford one, but at least now I know what it is capable of.

Kerry thanks for your comments ...

Arthur Morris
09-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Gavin, Nice image. Super sharp. It needs a bit more room behind the bird. Which 70-200 do you have?

Gavin Slabbert
09-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Gavin, Nice image. Super sharp. It needs a bit more room behind the bird. Which 70-200 do you have?

Art thanks for the cudo's,
I have a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM MK I which has just been returned to me from Canon who said that the lens was outside of factory spec at the upper ranges (150mm -200mm) but within spec at 70-150. It is better but not perfect as far as I am concerned.

I will use your tutorials that I have purchased to add some space behind the bird.

Arthur Morris
09-27-2011, 09:26 AM
YAW and thanks for your purchase. If you move up to the 20-200 f/2.8L IS II you should be able to make sharp images with the 2X III TC with good technique. Sharp enough to sell anyway.