PDA

View Full Version : Marakele Aardvark

Rudi van den Heever
09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Was fortunate enough to get this image of this illusive nocturnal animal which is rarely seen at night, let alone in sweet sunset light... Probably my first and last of this animal under these circumstances!

Location: Marakele National Park, Limpopo Province, South Africa
Equipment: Canon 7D and 100-400mm L lens at 300mm
Settings: 1/800s at F5.6 and ISO 400

Mark Wiseman
09-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Well done Rudi, this is a surprise. I like the composition, light, the POV and the eye sharpness. TFS and well done.
:5:bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Rudi you know how I feel about this...:Whoa!::eek3:
This is so, so, sooooo rare as you mentioned! You made the most of it...
Well done my man...
:5:cheers:

Pieter de Waal
09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi Rudi , could'nt agree more a rare sighting indeed and the opportunity well taken. Lovely light, eye contact and detail. Well done and TFS.

Hilary Hann
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I couldn't be more envious. A rare and highly valued sighting and you have beautiful light and an interesting composition as well. I like seeing the edges of what could be remnants of the aardvark digging … whatever it is the background environment really adds to this amazing photo. For all of us who have endlessly longed for an aardvark sighting, congratulations on a really fine photograph. And with a 7D! Great IQ, just shows what can be done with accurate exposures. (Pointing the finger at myself here! :e3)

Rachel Hollander
09-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Wow, you seized the probable once in a lifetime opportunity and came away with a great image. Nice light, comp and detail. Congrats on the sighting and the image!

TFS,
Rachel

DanWalters
09-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Great light and I like how the anthill is visible. Helps complete the story.

Harshad Barve
09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Big congratulation getting this in such a great light & POV
TFS

Ron Bernstein
09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
What a terrific shot of a most unusual subject, Marakele! I started playing with this image to try to draw more attention to the anteater. I took away some distracting pieces of grass around the snout and right ear, increased contrast on the animal, darkened off the corners, and added sharpening, all with various NIK tools. I hope you don't mind the alternative take! Somehow the saturation and color got changed, so please ignore that aspect of the repost, and consider the other changes. Thanks!
This has made me hungry! I've got to go see if I can find a handful of tasty ants!

Ron

BenBotha
09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
You lucky man. I have only seen one in the wild, at night-30years ago!! Lovely light.

Ben

Rudi van den Heever
09-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback! It is much appreciated!:S3: It surely was most probably a once in a lifetime opportunity and wish I could get more images, but he/she was so shy and only came out of the tall grass once or twice!

Great to see you only made subtle changes Ron (used to people going "bongers" with my images at times)... It surely makes a difference and is an improvement!:w3

Morkel Erasmus
09-27-2011, 03:07 PM
What a terrific shot of a most unusual subject, Marakele!
Ron

Nice repost, Ron!
And just off-the-ball, Marakele is a National Park where this image was taken...the creature is called an Aardvark :w3

Rudi van den Heever
09-27-2011, 03:30 PM
:bg3::bg3:...!

Ron Bernstein
09-28-2011, 06:50 AM
I'm sorry for having called you a national park, Rudi! Glad you liked the suggestions on the repost!
Ron

Rudi van den Heever
09-28-2011, 06:57 AM
:bg3:! No need to apologize Ron! Thanks for your interest in the image! Have a look at some other images taken at Marakele on my website here http://www.linruphotography.com/portfolio193542.html

RakeshDhareshwar
10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Woooohhhhh !! What a catch . Perfect light , great compo , and the rarest of rare animals you could find in such sweet light !!!!