PDA

View Full Version : Western Diamondback Rattlesnale

Mike Hannisian
09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
This image was made with a Canon 1D Mark III and a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 390mm hand held. The ISO was 800, the aperture was f/5.6, the shutter speed was 1/125, and the EV was -0.33. The image is uncrooped and nothing was added or removed. The snake is wild and wholly unrestrained; I was about 4 feet from it and was being very careful!

Steve Kaluski
09-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Mike, rather you than me in getting this shot, however I prefer to be this side of the screen when it comes to these guys.

Based on the techs it looks like you were fighting for SS, as more DOF would have been nice, however this close I'm not sure if it would have helped, if that makes sense? I like the eye contact and the extended tongue sensing the air. If it was me, I might try cropping so the head was a little more to the left and less above, plus, and this being really picky, but rotate the image so the eyes are level, however that does create an issue when cropping as you lose a little with the rotation.

TFS
Steve

Mark Wiseman
09-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Great image Mike. I like the asymmetry in that the head is not in the centre due to the coil of this strike ready rattler. The detail could probably have been improved with a higher ISO value allowing for a faster shutter speed and maybe a slight increase in depth of field, otherwise well done.
:bg3::5

Mike Hannisian
09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks, guys, for the input. I actually like the fact that the dof is limited. Also, although I obviously could do so now, this image was created as part of a contest that prohibited cropping. Again, it's really good to get the perspectives of other photogs.

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Nice intimate study here Mike...I concur with most of the points raised by Steve and Mark. I like the shallow DOF but feel it would have been nice if it was just a tad more? :Whoa!:

Anyway - here's a repost with some suggestions...take them or leave them, I have a peculiar way and sometimes what I do doesn't work for anyone else (which is also okay :w3).

I basically ran a multiplied highlights layer (see Robert's sticky thread in the Wildlife main forum) at 30% opacity.
Then I added a dark vignette, just to pull the viewer's eye a bit more towards the head.
Lastly, some dodging of highlights and burning of shadows for depth and contrast....and a wee bit of sharpening to the eyes.

Would love to know what you think?

Pieter de Waal
09-26-2011, 02:36 PM
What a fascinating and mesmerizing image Mike - brave man ! Nice concept and execution and agree the shallow DOF works nicely, especially in the repost with the additional pp work.

Stu Bowie
09-26-2011, 03:05 PM
The DOF effect works well here, just the right parts in focus. I like Mork's additional sharpening in the repost.

Mike Hannisian
09-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice intimate study here Mike...I concur with most of the points raised by Steve and Mark. I like the shallow DOF but feel it would have been nice if it was just a tad more? :Whoa!:

Anyway - here's a repost with some suggestions...take them or leave them, I have a peculiar way and sometimes what I do doesn't work for anyone else (which is also okay :w3).

I basically ran a multiplied highlights layer (see Robert's sticky thread in the Wildlife main forum) at 30% opacity.
Then I added a dark vignette, just to pull the viewer's eye a bit more towards the head.
Lastly, some dodging of highlights and burning of shadows for depth and contrast....and a wee bit of sharpening to the eyes.

Would love to know what you think?

I like the vignetting effect, which is something I do use on occasion, but overall (at least my eye) it looks a bit over processed. Nonetheless, I'll give it a try on a hi res version and see how that looks. Regardless, thanks for the input.

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
I like the vignetting effect, which is something I do use on occasion, but overall (at least my eye) it looks a bit over processed. Nonetheless, I'll give it a try on a hi res version and see how that looks. Regardless, thanks for the input.

No problem Mike...I should have added: "I probably overdid the vignette to make my point" :w3

Rachel Hollander
09-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Mike - well done, agree with Stuart that the additional sharpening applied by Morkel helps. Nice pov but 4 ft is a little too close for my comfort. Presume it was rattling?

TFS,
Rachel

DanWalters
09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Like the sharp tongue and eyes. Also like the body framing the head. Would like to see a little more of the body in focus.

Harshad Barve
09-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Agree with comments above , VWD
TFS

Ishmeet Sahni
09-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Mike you are truly a brave man. I really like the shallow DOF, the way your eyes are drawn to the diamond shaped head and the tongue, really works for me.
Very well done.

Tom Redd
10-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Mike, I love this shot. The DOF being shallow is great with me, but if I were really being picky, a tad more DOF would help with the eyes being a bit sharper like the tongue. Again, being very picky! I would love to call this mine as it is in the OP and I would be proud as heck of it. The repost by Morkel does make the image pop a bit more to me. Congrats on a great shot and good luck in the contest!http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/cheers.gif

Mike Hannisian
10-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your input.