PDA

View Full Version : first snow on the Alps

Valerio Tarone
09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Last sunday was the first surge of cold and snow on the Alps. The image is in color notB&W! i preferred to focus my attention on lines,not on the full landscape.
Nikon D300 zoom 70-300 at 195mm f24 1/100 EV -1.3 iso200 ap.priority
in PP some adjustment on WB-daylight to give more contrast and sharpness, LCE curves as quite Sreverse, more sharpness:60-1-1
I think you'll critique the lower diagonal line as too dark, to give more detail.. or not?
i'll appreciate critiques.

Ron Sprunger
09-27-2011, 12:05 AM
I actually like the dark diagonal line. Can't quite decide whether the image works for me. There are some interesting abstract elements, but I have trouble resolving perspective. It's almost an aerial mapping look. Is the blue-green cast on the snow as you remember it? There's also a bit of a blurred look to all left-facing slopes in the right side of the image that I can't quite figure out. Just how high were you to get that perspective at 195mm? I think this is a really interesting approach to the shot, but maybe needs a stronger subject to set the scale.

Valerio Tarone
09-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks Ron, the image isn't aerial, just direct lookink, it means a strong compression of the prospective.
i don't see too much blue cast, but it's frequent in mountain climate.

Robert Amoruso
09-28-2011, 05:45 AM
The lower dark diagonal interrupts the flow in the image and not in a good way thus becoming a distraction. Overall the image is not sharp. I find the opposing diagonals in the ridges interesting but from this vantage point I don't see a good way to crop or frame it into an esthetically pleasing arrangement.

Valerio Tarone
09-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Robert Thanks very much. Although negative, your critique is, anyway useful to get better and avoid mistakes. I ask myself, seeing the registered data, how was it possible a so narrow apeture (f32)!

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi Valerio - I've looked at this a few times and unfortunately I am with Ron. I find it very difficult to discern what I am looking at and from what perspective. The lack of sharpness adds to the problem. Maybe it would work as an OOTB abstract if you played with it a bit more.

TFS,
Rachel