PDA

View Full Version : Tigress of Rajbehara Dam

Harshad Barve
09-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Dear All
One more month to go when I will see Tigers in wild and will have new images , Till then lets play with some old images and learn B & W :t3:t3. Bandhavgarh NP in April 2009 , She was cub then and now news is , She is raising three cubs :cheers:

D300 , 600mm, ISO 200 , F4 , 1/640
All C & C are most welcome
Harshad

Harshad Barve
09-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Let me know if someone want to see color version :S3:

Steve Kaluski
09-26-2011, 02:43 AM
I like the position in frame and the look towards camera on this one Harshad, but for me, this magnificent animal should always be portrayed in it's true colours, as the B/W doesn't really do anything for me sadly. I also like the (left ear as viewed) which is slightly twisted, indicating an alertness.

TFS
Steve

Harshad Barve
09-26-2011, 02:48 AM
but for me, this magnificent animal should always be portrayed in it's true colours, as the B/W doesn't really do anything for me sadly.

No problem Steve , You know I am not big fan of B & W but would love to learn this tread too :t3 Here we go for your choice

Mark Wiseman
09-26-2011, 03:48 AM
Hi Harshad,
I agree with Steve with regard to the colour version. I have not been to India to photograph tigers, there colours are amazing. I like the colours, the composition and the wonderful eye contact. I would have given the image an eeny weeny bit of CCW rotation to straighten the trees on the right as they appear to slant to the right. Maybe that is how they are!!!!!??? Well done and thanks for sharing.

RakeshDhareshwar
09-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Loved the colour version through and through . The colours, composition and BG come along very nicely here !!

Pieter de Waal
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Ah , Harshad the colour version is sublime. Love this tiger in its environment. Lovely composition, light and eye contact. TFS

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Bhai - the colour version is magnificent! Love the vibrance and the POV on this wonderful tiger.

Since you want to play with B&W, I took the liberty to play a bit with your colour version. In my mind - for this to work in B&W you need to make the tiger "pop"...in your OP B&W the tiger merges too well with the BG grey tones.

What do you think of this one?? (have to state again - colour version is tops here! :bg3:)
Very rough edit! Ensured good separation between blacks and whites on the tiger, then selected BG and burned midtones until satisfied.

Stu Bowie
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Bhai, when one looks at your OP in B&W, it looks great. When you scroll down to your colour version, it just screams pop - excellent. Mork's B&W also shows us what can be done with B&W when you play with tones. Great work on all counts.

Nancy Bell
09-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Harshad, Images like this make me eager for our time together next year!! I too, prefer the color version. Have you considered cropping a bit off the bottom, maybe to just above that green plant in the lower right corner?

Hilary Hann
09-26-2011, 07:10 PM
This is so beautiful Harshad and I agree that the colour version reigns supreme, however I like Morkel's b&w with extra contrast and clarity. I am really impressed by your wanting to master another bow to your string as there are many times when b&w just fits better with the subject and even though tigers are gorgeous in colour, their stripes do lend themselves to a graphic treatment in certain situations.

Lucky Nancy, if you are off photographing tigers with Harshad. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
09-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Harshad - I agree with the others. The b&w OP is nice, but the color is great. One nit, the rock to the left of the tiger looks a little over sharpened to me. Glad to hear she is doing so well.

TFS,
Rachel

Ishmeet Sahni
09-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Harshad, I love the coloured version a lot better........ A beauty none the less.