PDA

View Full Version : White-rumped Sandpiper Adult

Ilija Dukovski
09-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Point o' Pines/ Revere Beach today was quite dark in the morning, but I managed to get few shots
at the few WRs mixed with hundreds of Semipalms. This was taken at high tide, which is great for finding the birds,
but makes it very difficult to get clean BG and FG.

What I like most about this bird is the amount of wear on some of the coverts, ready to get replaced.

Nikon D700 300mm+TC2.0 ISO800 f/4 1/500 fill-flash

Comments welcome.

Ilija

Mike Milicia
09-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi Ilija,

Great pose and nice exposure/fill flash!
A bit tight in the frame all around for me.

I'm not familiar with the location but sounds like it's worth checking out.

P.S.
I think you must have a typo? f/4 with 300mm + 2x?

Richard Unsworth
09-26-2011, 01:09 AM
:S3:
I like this; a piece of art as presented, love the subtleness but wonder if it needs a bit more sat?
As said bit tight but still works for me. Detail is superb on my Mac

Arthur Morris
09-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Count me in the too tight club. A very nice image of a worn, molting adult, typical of the season. Any juvies??? They arrived in the NE about two weeks early this year.

Ilija Dukovski
09-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Thank you for the comments. The original image has more space all around but
I had to crop a piece of very bright orange seaweed at the bottom.

Mike: Yes, it is a typo, should be f/8, not f/4
Point of Pines is at the most northern tip of Revere beach.
The place is excellent right now. There are Semipalms in the hundreds,
White-rumps only a few left, lots of Sanderlings, I had Dunlin (will show later)
Pectoral, a Buff-breasted was reported a week ago. Also, Semipalm and Blackbellied Plovers juvs and few adults,
Turnstone. Lots of Terns (common mostly), Skimmer and a very active Peregrine.

Richard: Thanks for the kind comment. The image is already saturated a bit. I did not want to
go any further, the bird would look brown, which is not correct, this species is mostly gray.

Artie: You are exactly right, the White-rumped juves were reported from the location about 3-4 weeks ago.
They seem to be gone now. Right now the place is full of Semipalmated juvs and only a dozen or so adult semis and whiterumps.

Arthur Morris
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Ilija, Please post the full frame original :).

Ilija Dukovski
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Ilija, Please post the full frame original :).

Here's the original with nothing done, only saved as jpeg in ACR and resized.

Arthur Morris
09-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks! You could deal with the orange blob with a flopped, warped Quick Mask (as described in detail in Robert O'Toole's APTATS II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=33).

Ilija Dukovski
09-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks! You could deal with the orange blob with a flopped, warped Quick Mask (as described in detail in Robert O'Toole's APTATS II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=33).

Yes I should, this was done very quickly, just to post it. I'll spend more time later.
I'm incredibly busy these days.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-26-2011, 09:17 AM
I like the comp as shot nice and low and your post processing looks great to me.

Ishmeet Sahni
09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
A little tight, but a beauty......

Ilija Dukovski
09-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks Cheryl and Ishmeet.