PDA

View Full Version : Lily Pads in Early Morning Light

John Storjohann
09-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I've always been fascinated by the patterns that lily pads can form. Taken at the local Botanical Garden; captured with the 100-400@150mm, f/22@1/6 about 30 minutes after sunrise. RAW file processed in LR; local adjustments with Viveza, added some tonal contrast, touched up some of the burn spots on the pads (they're starting to show their age a bit), and evicted a few insects. Comments and suggestions welcome.

denise ippolito
09-25-2011, 08:17 PM
John, I just love pattern shots like this, you have a nice grouping here that has a lot of interest. I might clean up the left edge with a crop if it were mine. I might like just a touch more light on the main pad that is tilted. I like the bluish look to this, I think it adds nicely to the image. Nice job with the processing. Your lily and pad images are very inspiring.:S3:

John Storjohann
09-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Denise...is this something like what you had in mind?

denise ippolito
09-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Actually much better than what I had in mind. I had no idea you had such skills, you've been holding out on me. :t3:w3:bg3:

Ron Sprunger
09-25-2011, 11:19 PM
I love everything about the image, especially the repost. Fabulous job with this one.

John Storjohann
09-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Ron, thank you for your comments...much appreciated.

Denise...nah....lol...crop tool and Viveza for the local adjustment...easy stuff. You're the one with the skills.

I'll be gone for a few days...with 36 Eighth Class boys this time...outdoor leadership and teambuilding. Ought to be fun!

denise ippolito
09-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Ron, thank you for your comments...much appreciated.

Denise...nah....lol...crop tool and Viveza for the local adjustment...easy stuff. You're the one with the skills.

I'll be gone for a few days...with 36 Eighth Class boys this time...outdoor leadership and teambuilding. Ought to be fun!

:S3::S3::S3:

Ken Childs
09-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi John, you did a good job on the OP and following Denisie's crop suggestion definitely helped bring this one up a notch. The comp looks good and the one tilted pad is a definite bonus and adds some interest. I'm not fond of the blue tint so if this were mine, I'd take down the blues/cyans on the entire image which would make it look more natural. Nicely spotted and executed! :S3:

Steve Maxson
09-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi John. I like "mini-landscapes" like this - and they are everywhere if we just develop an eye for spotting them. You did a good job spotting this one. :S3: I like the crop in your repost - a minor change, but it makes a noticeable difference. I think I prefer the darker pad in your OP, though it's a minor point for me and I could go either way on that. Good luck with the boys!