PDA

View Full Version : Chiaroscuro Maccaw

Cheryl Slechta
09-25-2011, 06:24 PM
This is an image I took at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. This was the lighting on the original image but I used Nik Glamour Glow and then slight Pixel Bender Oil Paint to enhance the chiarascuro effect. I have a conure who cuddles up to sleep every night with a stuffed toy hanging on his cage and this is what the Maccaw reminded me of:S3:

Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Kerry Perkins
09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi Cheryl, nice capture and play of light on the parrot. I think you could lighten the white feathers around the eye (and the eye) to enhance the effect even more. Nice subtle use of PB oil.

Cheryl Slechta
09-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Kerry, does this look better or worse?

John Storjohann
09-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Cheryl, the OP was good...the repost nails it for me. Beautiful image...I really like the composition...have you ever played with the saturation sponge? A brush over the eye...just to give it some pop...might look really good...I'd have to see it...but this more than stands on its own as is. Well done! I've never been to St. Augustine's Alligator Farm...it's on my short list of places I want to go.

denise ippolito
09-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Cheryl, Nice work for the theme. I like the pose and the filtering. Good suggestions above. These birds always seem so cute.:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
09-25-2011, 07:06 PM
John and Denise, thanks for your comments. John, I've never used the saturation sponge - I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and add a repost. Thanks for the tip:S3: I like the Alligator Farm - you don't need really long lenses to get some close shots.

Bob Miller
09-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Cheryl ....like the repost very much!

Andrew McLachlan
09-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Beautiful work Cheryl, I love the repost.:S3:

Maureen Allen
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Really nice Cheryl! Love the play of light here and the bird's pose. Maccaws are beautiful birds. Unfortunately, they are not quiet birds :bg3:

Kerry Perkins
09-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Cheryl, this is exactly what I had in mind and I think it works fine. It makes the image much more dramatic. Well done!

Jay Sheinfield
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey Cheryl............great image, I like the RP............very engaging! Nice work.

Cheryl Slechta
09-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Bob, Andrew, Maureen, Kerry and Jay - thanks so much for your comments. John, I found the saturation sponge:w3 Does this look like what you had in mind? I think I might like it better without the saturation.

Mitch Carucci
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Perfect theme photo. Moody, but rich colors.

Paul Lagasi
09-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Houston, we have a winner. Cheryl, I come in every day and see how we've all grown in OOTB. This is one of your best, fits the theme and even if it wasn't for the theme...it is just a lovely image. Enough said :w3

Hazel Grant
09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I agree with Paul....a winner. And, like you, I think that in this case the saturation on the eye makes it a bit too artificial. Love the contrast of the sharp eye and area around it (yes, the whitening is good) and the slight blur to the beak texture and red feathers. Makes the eye focus just right. This is what I would think of when thinking of modern chiaroscuro.

Cheryl Slechta
09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Mitch, Paul and Hazel - thanks so much. Paul, I feel the same way about our growth in OOTB - it is a wonderful community of sharing, talented people:S3: