PDA

View Full Version : Leopard cub

Mark Wiseman
09-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I found this 6 month old leopard cub on an old Martial eagle nest in the Auob River valley. It was eventually harrassed from it's resting place by tourist's alighting from there vehicles and approaching the tree on foot for a better look. This was my best image before the leopard cub fled to the opposite bank, which was understandable, as images were then out of the question. Batulama, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I like the posture of this leopard cub, although the background is not ideal, there is good eye detail and I am otherwise happy. The actual taking of the image from the vehicle was difficult, as the leopard cub was at least 30-40 feet up the tree.
Camera details:
Canon EOS 1Ds MkIII
Canon EF 500mm f4 LUIS lens
ISO 400
Aperture f4
Shutter speed 1/500
Exp comp: +1.3
Any comments and advice welcome.

Steve Kaluski
09-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Mark, nice image, good clean colours and I like the placement within frame. Might lose a little of the top?

Personally I am not a lover of the branch in the BKG and if you were to move to your left then this might have been avoided, but then you may have lost the shot, or the angle may not have been so good, just thinking aloud, but no big deal. :S3:

BTW have you changed you processing for web now on this image, looks better IMHO.

Trust you enjoyed the talk today, I didn't hear you snoring. :bg3:

cheers
Steve

Mark Wiseman
09-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Steve, Thanks for the talk today, it has re- enforced what I need to do on my next trip. I have followed the sticky's and it seems to have worked.
This was the only approach to the shot as I nearly took the shot out of the footwell and that was difficult for me in the landcruiser. If I had moved to the left, a branch would have been in the way and I would not have been able to take the image as it the leopard cub would have been obscured.
Thanks for your help as it is gratefully appreciated, with many thanks, Mark.
:5:cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice sighting Mark! When was this taken? We narrowly missed a leopard cub in a tree near Montrose in October last year.
Here is a repost with the midtones and shadows on the face dodged a bit, as well as highlights a slight crop...I also added a hint of sharpening to the eyes, nose and ears.

WDYT?

Mark Wiseman
09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
It was in October last year, the 19th, in the camelthorn tree where the branch is broken and has fallen into the road. The road goes round the tree now where in the past it went under the branch that broke. You are right, it was between Montrose and Rooibrak. The repost looks good and I like the crop. When are you off to the KTP.

DanWalters
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM
With what you had to work with, very nice image. Like the way the leopard is looking down.

Harshad Barve
09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
With what you had to work with, very nice image.

Plus one here
TFS

Pieter de Waal
09-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Well done Mark I am all to familiar with those difficulties in trying to get an image. Love the pose and you managed good detail and colour with the difficult BG. Like Morkels repost compwise and processing.

Stu Bowie
09-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Mark, good open view of the cub, and we all know how difficult it is to get the 'perfect' shot. I like the inquisitive look, and also like what Mork did with the sharpening.

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
It was in October last year, the 19th, in the camelthorn tree where the branch is broken and has fallen into the road. The road goes round the tree now where in the past it went under the branch that broke. You are right, it was between Montrose and Rooibrak. The repost looks good and I like the crop. When are you off to the KTP.

Would you believe it! My friend and I heard about a leopard "somewhere near Montrose" and headed out from Twee Rivieren to check it out. He had eaten some bad food at lunch and started feeling very sick...we went to Montrose but turned around there having no idea where the leopard cub was supposed to be and if it was even still around...we later found out it was just about 2km from where we turned around :2eyes2:.

Heading out on the 19th November if all goes according to plan. Spending 8 quick nights then back...but heading back for 2 weeks end of February 2012 too...when are you going??

Rachel Hollander
09-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Mark - nice cuteness factor here and you did well under the conditions. Shame about the people getting out of their vehicles. I like what Morkel has done with the repost.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Wiseman
09-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments.
I should be in the KTP around the 29th December for two weeks, it sounds as though we just missed each other, Morkel. I can't wait to go and I should have lots of images to process.
With many thanks, Mark.

Morkel Erasmus
09-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments.
I should be in the KTP around the 29th December for two weeks, it sounds as though we just missed each other, Morkel. I can't wait to go and I should have lots of images to process.
With many thanks, Mark.

Enjoy, Mark! Yes we missed each other but we would not have known about each other at that time :w3