PDA

View Full Version : Now that's funny!

Randy Stout
09-25-2011, 11:08 AM
This wood stork was imaged well after sunset at Little Estero last Feb. Daniel and I were helping Artie on his President's Day IPT and had returned to Little Estero in the evening after a long rainy morning. All the other folks opted out of getting wet
again except the two of us and one IPT participant. Well, it was one of those magical times. The rain cleared, the winds were still, and the birds were cooperative. It was quite dim however, and I had to use flash on all the images. Tried to really balance the fading ambient light and the flash to give a pleasant mix.

D700 600VR f/4.5 1/250s ISO 1000 Gitzo/wimberley SB800 -3.00 EV

Post: CS5 Selective sharpening, water clean up, removed tiny portion of another birds head on far right frame edge. Did remove the red eye from flash

DOF obviously a challenge with my settings, and that long bill.

Thoughts and advice always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Mital Patel
09-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Bravo

Too good of a shot.

Daniel Cadieux
09-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Funny you should post this as just this morning I was thinking of revisiting some files from that week...so many but so little time! It was indeed a nice evening and these storks that showed up were alot of fun to photograph. A bit tight in the frame IMO, but the exposure, details, colours and pose all work well together. This was also the day my 40D died...sniff...

Stu Bowie
09-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Great angle here Randy, and a great view of the open bill. Your flashwork has turned out well, as it looks so subtle, and I do like the softer colour of the BG. Were you standing in the water to capture this?

Marina Scarr
09-25-2011, 02:28 PM
From where I'm sitting, looks like great use of flash. I really like the hues of the water, and the whites on the WS appear to be glistening. Calling pose a plus as well.

dankearl
09-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Very nice use of flash and a nice pose, another bird I wish were around here.
The DOF looks fine and it is nicely processed as usual.

Karl Egressy
09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Excellent shot, Randy. Love the open beak and the subtle colouration on the water.

Randy Stout
09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks everyone!

Daniel, I almost mentioned about the 'day the 40D died", while humming a Don McLean tune in the background, but thought that would bring up sad memories for you :bugeyed: I so remember you trying to resuscitate the thing.

Stuart: I believe I was on the shore edge for this one, but took so many that night, don't remember for sure.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
09-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Very funny. Spectacular capture and processing. Love the pink on the upper breast.

Gary Esman
09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Randy, Nice one. The legs are so straight I have to look close to see the water line...I better see an eye doctor! Love the sheen look on the back feathers, open mouth, and the nearly audible laugh. Great use of flash!

Gary.

RakeshDhareshwar
09-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Great use of flash here, Randy !! Loved the crop . What was he laughing at ???

Robert Holguin
09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow. What a wonderful image. Great detail, wonderful pose, and perfect use of the flash. Well done.

Randy Stout
09-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks again folks

I particularly appreciate the positive thoughts on the flash use. It really can save the day many times, but I always strive for subtlety.

Cheers

Randy