PDA

View Full Version : More fun with paint

Maureen Allen
09-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Since I'm pretty much confined to garage photography right now (shoulder injury), I've been trying to refine my paint images. Occasionally I capture a funny looking bug and photograph that but the last one got away and I decided that in house captive bug photography may not be the very best idea :e3

I've been experimenting with different types of paint, a range of frequencies and various lighting schemes.

Comments/suggestions appreciated!

Brendan Dozier
09-25-2011, 11:16 AM
This is awesome, Maureen! Your best one yet, with superb lighting and such an interesting formation. It looks to me like some kind of stage performance is going on, with one figure playing a stand-up base, another one juggling a bowling pin, and a few farm animals on stage as well! :bg3: I have no clue how you do this, but it seems that you have perfected the technical execution, which I'm sure takes some thoughtful planning. How do you light this anyway? Excellent! :cheers:

Ken Childs
09-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, please post more info on how you accomplish this! This is fantastic! A nice choice of colors, too.
This looks computer generated which is not a bad thing at all. :S3:

Judy Howle
09-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I've never seen paint images like this before and have no ideal how you do it, but it is awesome! The lighting and the colors are both very appealing.

Paul Lagasi
09-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I can see you in your garage with a lab coat, big magnifying goggles on, spotlights creating these wonderful images....:tinysmile_shy_t:...another vote here for how is it done turorial...

denise ippolito
09-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Maureen, My favorite so far! I love the black background it really makes the colors pop especially the swirls. It does look like dancing bowling pins! Awesome creation!:S3:

Maureen Allen
09-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Paul, you are too funny!

Ken, I wouldn't have any idea how to do this in a computer generated sort of way:eek3:

The basics:

Nikon d3s, 105mm f/2.8, ISO 800, f/29, 1/200
Three flash units with diffusers at 1/64, wireless controller
Black balloon covered subwoofer
Sine wave generating software on a laptop
Water based kid paint, diluted
Black background
Dimmed lights
Lots of patience

Paint drops are applied to the covered subwoofer using squeeze bottles. The area where you apply the paint needs to be level. The paint is diluted to about the consistency of cream. Various frequencies produce differing results. Timing is everything :Whoa!:

Processing involves cleanup of stray droplets, selective sharpening and a low opacity PB/oil layer.

John Storjohann
09-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Maureen, this is so cool...it looks like something out of Pixar, just as the paint is about to morph into a creature. I'd be tempted to take a bit off the top...but that is a matter of personal taste. Insane technique, wonderful processing, and a great final image! :cheers:

Steve Adkins
09-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Awesome, Maureen! Best one yet. Love the lighting and reflection. Looks addicting. :bg3:

Cheryl Slechta
09-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Maureen, it looks like the shoulder injury was a blessing in disguise:S3: This is my favorite of your paint images. It looks like performance art to me and is very, very neat.

Kerry Perkins
09-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Maureen, this is fantastic! I love everything about it - the colors, action, and surface textures. The image has a computer generated image look to it. I understand what you are doing, but am having a difficult time visualizing a "black balloon covered subwoofer". How does that work?

Andrew McLachlan
09-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Maureen, these are way too wicked!:cheers:

Maureen Allen
09-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

Kerry, I removed the speaker from the enclosure it lived in. Then, using a large balloon, I cut the part you blow into off and cut a bit toward the center. Then I enlisted some help to stretch the thing over the speaker. It was a tight fit, which is what I wanted.

You don't have to use a balloon - I tried black garbage bags first and that worked too. Susan Candelario suggested the balloon and I agree, it's definitely 'bouncier' :S3:

Mitch Carucci
09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
This one is more whimsical. Both are great. Don't know why this one is funnier, but it just is.

M.

Nancy Bell
09-26-2011, 01:34 PM
This is completely amazing! How about a photo of the set-up? Also what camera settings do you use? And do you apply paints with one hand and work the camera with the other?

Roman Kurywczak
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Awesome Maureen!!! Glad to see you putting hte healing time to good use!

Maureen Allen
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks Mitch, Nancy and Roman!

Nancy, I'd be happy to post a photo of the setup, but I don't know where to put it :e3

Roman - Enjoy your time in Yellowstone. Hope to see lots of your fabulous images when you return!

Indranil Sircar
09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Just amazing :Whoa!: Excellent work!