PDA

View Full Version : Fringed Gentian

Ron Sprunger
09-25-2011, 10:55 AM
My daughter-in-law found a patch of these in a meadow in Yellowston three weeks ago. She got out the macro, but I had the big lens on for eagles, so I put it on the monopod and snapped a few.

Nikon D7000, 200-400 f/4, 1.7 TC, monopod
f/8, 1/500, ISO 280, aperture priority -1 ev, distance 2.8m. Not much post, except a bit of contrast and some final sharpening.
C&C welcome and appreciated

Ron Sprunger
09-25-2011, 11:24 AM
And wondering whether this slight crop and shadow relief makes a better picture...

denise ippolito
09-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Ron, I think you did a nice job with the sharpness. I prefer the OP but that is a personal preference and many like their images tight esp. in macro. I think that the OOF flower bloom on the right edge is a little distracting, maybe if it were not at the same level as the main bloom. I might try to blend the dark (older bloom? ) on the left. There is a halo around the one purple petal on the right in the repost probably from lightening it. Great find, I always like to see things captured naturally and I think you did a fine job here.

Ron Sprunger
09-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Dang! I hadn't noticed the halo creeping in with the shodows/highlights. Should have masked it off. I think I prefer the OP too, but thought others might find it a bit much at the top. 3:4 crops I tried didn't work at all. Wish now I had thought to tie the background flowers out of the frame for a shot or two. I was assuming the OOF color spots would enhance the image, but I think you're right about them being a distraction.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Anita Bower
09-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Fringed Gentians are a treat! I haven't seen any in many years. Lucky you. Gorgeous blues, nice angle to the flower, nice lines in the bg. I would suggest clonning out or brushing over the brownish blur to lower left of the flower, which I think is the biggest distraction. The oof flowers are slightly distracting, but not as much. You could clone them or make them less noticeable if you like. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Sprunger
09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks Anita, I value your input. I may have a shot tonight at removing the brown (dead flower) and toning down the BG flowers. A little selective desaturation ought to help with the latter.

Ken Childs
09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey Ron, between Denise and Anita, most of what I would have said has already been covered. I would have added the part about tying the BG flowers out of the way but you already self critiqued that part. :S3:
The comp looks great and like Denise, I prefer the OP. This still is nice but if you'd been able to shoot it without those BG flowers, it would have looked fantastic.

Nancy Bell
09-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Ron, others have covered the bits of distraction in the image but I want to add that I love the angle of the Fringed Genetian. I have moved my macro lens all around these flowers trying to capture their uniqueness and you did a great job. I didn't think of using a larger lens.

Ron Sprunger
09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Nancy, that's a problem I always have working with a macro around a tubular flower. I just started using the bigger lens for flowers this summer, and now I mostly loan my macro to my daughter-in-law. But I'm just learning the standards and tricks for producing really presentable images, so the attention and suggestions you and the others give so freely are truly helpful. Now if I can just apply what I'm learning when I'm in the field...

Steve Maxson
09-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi Ron. Beautiful blues, excellent sharpness within your DOF, and I think I also prefer the OP. You have some excellent comments/suggestions above that have covered all of my thoughts so I won't repeat. Nice job using the "non-macro" lens. :S3: