PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bear dunes

Randy Bronkema
09-24-2011, 07:11 PM
This is one of the overlooks at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. You can see how steep the dune is going down to the lake. In this images you can't see the lake at all it's fogged over. I really like the clouds NIkon D300s nikkor 17-55mm @18mm ISO 500 200@f16 hand held grad.ND filter
CC always welcome

Thanks
Randy101220

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Randy,

I like that you included this strong diagonal in the image. If you look along the bottom of the image notice the small pieces of foliage peaking in. I will crop along the bottom edge to remove them or clone them out. Also in the lower right corner I find the small clumps of foliage grab my eye. A right side crop would delete too much of the slope and the tree at the top of the slope. If cloning is not an issue for you, remove these small clumps. Moving in the field might have gotten you a clean look to the dunes in the corner as opposed to dealing with it in post processing as is my preference.

The clouds are very picturesque and have a nice flow in the scene and the fog provides for a soft FG to BG and the lower third of the image. I do find the very bright stripes in the fog distracting and in processing would try to reduce tonality there somewhat.

Rachel Hollander
09-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Randy- I like the diagonal line of the dune but find the whites in the bands too bright. The clouds are nice.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
09-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Randy, I also like the diagonal and the clouds are quite nice too. Robert's suggestions will make it even nicer.