PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Loggerhead Sea Turtle (copied from OOTB)

Mike Hannisian
09-24-2011, 06:04 AM
I captured this image of a Loggerhead Sea Turtle swimming just below the surface while returning from a pelagic trip to Wilmington Canyon which is about 70 miles off the mouth of Delaware Bay. I used a Canon 7D camera with a Canon 300mm f/2.8 (I) lens. My ISO was 400; the aperture was f/2.8; the shutter speed was 1/3200; there was no EV. It was handheld. Nothing was added or removed but the image was obviously cropped. This is an atypical capture for me, but I like it.

denise ippolito
09-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Hi Mike, I think this image is best suited for the this wildlife forum where I feel that the folks there are more familiar with aquatic captures and they can give you additional critiques.
I love the look of this, the turtle almost looks like an abstract painting. It feels a bit tight in the frame to me, especially right left and bottom.:S3:

Brendan Dozier
09-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Interesting and unique capture, Mike. Like the combination of both the shell pattern and the reflecting sunlight patterns. Just enough detail to tell it's a turtle. Do you have any frames where just its head is sticking out?

Steve Canuel
09-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Cool pic. I like how parts of the flipper and shell disappear.

Harshad Barve
09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
this is an excellent image , loved the turtle and blues too
TFS

Pieter de Waal
09-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Wonderful image Mike. I like the abstract yet very descriptive portayal of the Turtle. I too feel it would benefit from more room around the turtle, especially below and in front.TFS.

DanWalters
09-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Makes a great abstract image! Agree about adding a little more room.

Mike Hannisian
09-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Interesting and unique capture, Mike. Like the combination of both the shell pattern and the reflecting sunlight patterns. Just enough detail to tell it's a turtle. Do you have any frames where just its head is sticking out?

None that are worth noting as the boat had moved sop the sun angle was poor.

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
It worked out quite nicely Mike! I too would opt for more "breathing room" around your subject. :Whoa!: