PDA

View Full Version : Little Pearl Crescent Butterfly

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2011, 03:50 AM
I like the sharpness of this image, my old D70 has come in handy as a second body. This camera with the 105 2.8 macro is a killer. The image below was taken handheld using this combo. When opened in in camera raw the image is crazy sharp....

I never seem to be able to reduce the size for posting and retain the sharpness like some in here.....

Thanks for looking

D70
Nikon 105 mm 2.8 macro
1/500
iso 640
handheld

Steve Maxson
09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi Paul. A nice tight portrait of this small butterfly (though I think I like the version you have in your blog even better :S3:). The sharpness looks good to my eye except for the end of the right forewing - you might try some additional selective sharpening there to see if it helps. If this was mine, I would be tempted to remove some of the spots (particularly the two light ones) on the leaf just above the left wing as they tend to draw my eye. Overall, this is very well done and a couple tweaks will make it even better!

Ken Childs
09-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Paul, Steve already covered my thoughts pretty well and I agree with him about the version on your blog.....this PC is a bit worn so going in extra tight isn't necessarily the best way to show it off. Apply Steve's suggested tweaks and you'll have a winner! :S3:

Arthur Morris
09-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Ditto Steve. In addition, a bit too big in the frame for me. Me thinks that the butterfly is slightly titled with the right forewing closer to us than the rest. EXP good.

John Storjohann
09-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Steve makes some very good suggestions...and I'd evict some of the sharply focused spots on the leaf just beneath the butterfly as well. Good tone and color...a little tight, but this would be an easy image to add canvas to...you have me itching to go out and shoot butterflies!

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Thank You all, I decided to re-start this image from scratch, same image, sharpened selected areas, removed the spots and leveled the butterfly not the antennae...Thanks for looking at my blog,

Brendan Dozier
09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Cool looking butterfly, Paul, and I like the view from above. Nice colors and the BG contrast nicely. I think I like the repost composition better, but there is some noise in the image. Will checkout your blog.

Ron Sprunger
09-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Interesting colors in BG, works really well with the butterfly. Repost is a great improvement, but I agree with Brendan about more noise in repost than OP. Artie's got a good piece somewhere in here on preparing images for the web (can't seem to find it right now), and I know there are others as well.

denise ippolito
09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Paul, I like the original capture but the way the BF looks in your first post. Nice catch!!:S3:

Paul Lagasi
09-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I did some sharpening and forgot to mask only the BF so darker areas of the image had more noise, here is the way the image looks without the noise.

Thank you all for your input.....

Andrew McLachlan
09-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi Paul, very nice repost. I prefer this framing to the original post. Nice capture.