PDA

View Full Version : Red-necked Phalarope

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2011, 01:00 AM
I always love migration time...you just never know what will show up. A Phalarope has been hanging around Ottawa Beach for the past few weeks, giving birders and photographers excellent views. The first time I went down with camera in hand, it never came close enough, for a decent image.

I went back a few days later on a nice sunny morning, there had been a few jaegers seen on the river and I wanted to check it out. While taking a break from scoping the river, I noticed this phalarope coming in my direction while feeding.

I made the best of it, I would have loved to get lower but you gotta know this river...so much goose and gull doo along the shore, I wasn't lying down, deep knee bend was enough...:tinysmile_shy_t:

Thanks for looking,

D7000
Nikon 300mm f4D
f8
1/1250
iso - 500
aperture priority
handheld
processed on my laptop hope its ok...

Mital Patel
09-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Paul,

Given the situations said you did well enough. I would be more happy to have this as the chances for us here are very hard for Phalaropes. :S3:

May be as you captured from a bit hight i would include more bottom than top to give elevation to a bird in frame for better viewing.

Giving an S curve might boost the viewing experience.. IMO.

Daniel Cadieux
09-24-2011, 12:03 PM
I made the best of it, I would have loved to get lower but you gotta know this river...so much goose and gull doo along the shore, I wasn't lying down, deep knee bend was enough...:tinysmile_shy_t:

You should have seen me when I photographed this little fella...the water actually felt great!:eek3: Not certain I would have done the same at Petrie Island though:t3

Yes a lower angle would have been good, but still a nice image of this charming little fella. Perhaps I'd make the blacks darker. This is a very tame individual...it actually stuck its bill inside my lens hood - perhaps looking at its reflection on the glass.

Paul Lagasi
09-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks Dan, Downstream from a water filtration plant...nah I probably wouldn't have either.....gotta love tame birds..The Sabines Gull was very tame also...

Mital, I tried the s-curve but couldn't get it to look right, what settings?