PDA

View Full Version : Sulphur creek, Jasper

Charles Glatzer
09-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Sulfphur Creek, Jasper

Todays lesson plan included improving visual skills, metering, and HDR technique.

1Ds Mark III, 16-35mm
Manual (3 exposures), 1/60 - 1/5 @ f/20, ISO 100
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR3, CS5, NIK

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas

Jerry van Dijk
09-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi Chas, seems todays lesson paid off! Good score on all three points. I like the framing of the mountain by the trees and the interesting foreground. HDR is very well done. Overall, the image seems a bit dark. I might be inclined to open up the FG a little more.

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Lovely composition here Chas and good job in dealing with the HDR as there's detail right through as well as even luminosity.
I took the liberty of playing with the image a bit...did some dodging and burning on the rocks upfront as well as the trees as it felt a wee bit 'flat', and I also added some contrast to the mountain peak.
What do you think? :e3

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Chas,

Which HDR program?

Well composed with the strong falls int he FG to the V shape of the forest in the middle ground framing the peak in the BG.

Rachel Hollander
09-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Very nice comp with the mountain well framed in the rear and I like the look of the cascading water.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
09-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi Chas, very nice image and perfectly framed. Ditto on the original post being a tad flat, Morkel's repost improves on that nicely.

Charles Glatzer
09-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Robert,

I used Nik HDR Pro.
-----------------------
Morkel,

Thanks...the repost looks a bit contrasty on my Mac Pro laptop, but it may be the laptop needs another round of calibration. IMO the foreground was in shade and therefore to maintain a bit of realism it should remain lower in contrast than the open sky.

Best to all,

Chas in jasper

Morkel Erasmus
09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Morkel,

Thanks...the repost looks a bit contrasty on my Mac Pro laptop, but it may be the laptop needs another round of calibration. IMO the foreground was in shade and therefore to maintain a bit of realism it should remain lower in contrast than the open sky.

Best to all,

Chas in jasper

I'll bet your screen has been more recently calibrated than mine :w3.
I agree with your assessment if that was the case. I tend to like contrast a bit higher than most, so it's merely an option from my perspective :t3.
Eager to see more from your trip!

Dave Mills
09-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi Morkel, nice job on the repost. Definately brought the image up a few notches...

Andrew Aveley
10-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Morkel , great repost but may just be little to contrasting:) maybe something in between the two :)