PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Head for quick, small changes in camera position.

Ronald Zigler
09-23-2011, 07:04 PM
If one is setting up to photograph birds behind a bird blind with a Canon 300mm f4 L IS lens on a tripod, with the camera pointed and focused on a perch the birds will frequent as they approach a feeder, what type of tripod head would be recommended that would allow small, quick changes in the camera position in order to best accommodate the different points on the perch at which the birds may land? Would a "pistol-grip ballhead" or "joystick" head most appropriately provide this kind of small, quick, accurate shifts in the camera's position?

James Prudente
09-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I would recommend a RRS BH-40 ball head. the tension can be adjusted to provide enough friction to allow easy movement of the camera lens combo and still keep it from slipping on its own.

Jim

Ronald Zigler
09-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks Jim.

Don Kates
09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
best head I've used
http://www.adorama.com/AWC1.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

Ronald Zigler
09-24-2011, 11:20 AM
The first item, the RRS BH-40 ball head, appears to be discontinued at B&H. The second item, while undoubtedly, of superb quality, is not the kind of investment an amateur like myself wishes to make. Are there not other options, under $200? I do not ever expect to place a heavy, expensive super telephoto lens on this head or a tripod.

Dave Hassell
09-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Try http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=Ballhead25&key=cat and http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=Ballhead40&key=cat

James Prudente
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=Ballhead40&key=cat

It is still on the site.

Jim

John Chardine
09-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't use a bullhead at all. The Mongoose gimbal head is the way to fly. 4th Generation offers two models. I'd get the bigger one, which is overkill for the 300/4 but will work with larger lenses very well.

Roger Clark
09-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Ronald,

I'm with John on this one. If you want to follow the birds, a gimbal head is the way to go. If you already have a ball head a wimberly sidekick is a simple addition.

Roger

jack williamson
09-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Hello Ronald. I use Giottos tripods and heads and I have never seen anyone on these sites say that they use this brand of equipment. For the exact shooting situation that you describe that you will be doing I use a Giottos MH 1301 ballhead. It is very well built and will support 20 lbs. B&H Photo has this head for $144.00. As Roger and John pointed out a gimbal will be much better for flight shots but for the money and using it for setups, landscapes, and macro this little Giottos will work fine.

Jack

PS: I use a Nikon D700, 1.4tc, and a 300mm f2.8 on mine.

Ronald Zigler
09-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Jack. I was hoping to hear a few more recommendations that would be less costly than a gimbal head.

Robert Hardy
09-30-2011, 05:04 AM
what body are you using ? a Gimbal may not give you enough vertical movement if say you have a mk3 or a camera with a battry grip.as you have to have the lens well forward to get some sort of balance this then makes the grip hit the gimbal base .
Rob

Ronald Zigler
09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
I plan on acquiring a Canon 60D during this holiday season. It will be a substantial upgrade (and investment) for me since I have not had an SLR camera in many years (my previous SLRs were film not digital cameras). I do not really feel I need the kind of mobility provided by a gimbal head since I anticipate using a tripod either in a bird blind for small horizontal adjustments, or for low light situations where I just want some added stability.

David Stephens
10-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I plan on acquiring a Canon 60D during this holiday season. It will be a substantial upgrade (and investment) for me since I have not had an SLR camera in many years (my previous SLRs were film not digital cameras). I do not really feel I need the kind of mobility provided by a gimbal head since I anticipate using a tripod either in a bird blind for small horizontal adjustments, or for low light situations where I just want some added stability.

Have you shot from a blind before? I can't imagine doing it without my gimbal. A ballhead doesn't allow reasonable tracking of birds in flight. Manfrotto has an inexpensive gimbal for well under $200 if that's you're limit. I used one for a year before moving up to a Wimberley Sidekick/Arca-Swiss combination.

Another option is to just hand hold your 300mm. I hand hold my 500/f4 99% of the time and 300mm would be a piece of cake in comparison.

Dave

Don Lacy
10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Ronald, For what you describe the RRS BH-40 is the best ball head for your needs if the price is to high you can look into markins and other quality brands just make sure they have a tension control along with the main control. You do not want one of the pistol grip systems there is way to much vibration in them to be really effective. I see you decided on the 300 f/4 as your lens a great little lens I think you will be very happy with it.

Mack Hicks
10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
You may want to look at the Benro heads. These are Chinese knockoffs of Arca Swiss design and are much less costly than the Markin, or RRS heads. I have two of these, used the large one with a Sidekick until I got a dedicated gimbel head from Custom Brackets.