PDA

View Full Version : Eagle yoga in habitat

Duane Noblick
09-23-2011, 05:53 PM

Canon 7D, Canon 500mm f/4L, Canon 1.4II extender, 1/200" @ f/5.6, ISO 400

This is the male Bald Eagle from the nest I've been observing/photographing since 2008 early one moring doing some stretching before heading off for the days activites. We are all patiently waiting to see if he finds a new mate for the 2012 nesting season after his original mate was struck and killed by a plane at Norfolk International Airport this past April. Recent sightings of 2 adult Eagles roosting in the woods he frequents is a good sign he found one but he hasn't introduced her to us yet.

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Duane, any photo of an eagle is special (a few years ago they were tough to find), I find this image is busy, the background, the pine needles, I wish the eagle was looking at the camera...fanned tail and open wing is neat...Thanks

Duane Noblick
09-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Thank you Paul...so you would rather see him looking right at the camera or straight on???? I'm not sure how much more he can look at the camera without him looking straight down the barrel which I dislike personally. Just trying to understand your thoughts about the head angle.

As far as the Pine needles I guess we can agree to dissagree (I think the needles to his right and left help balance the image)...plus, this is a habitat image. What would you have done differently if you were in this situation? I do think the BG (behind the Eagle not the Pine needles immediately surrounding him) is busy but then again, this Eagle (and many that I come across in VA) doesn't cooperate and perch out in the open.

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2011, 05:23 AM
Duane, sometimes an image replaces words, this image I am posting also has a busy background, but is saved somewhat by the intense stare of the eagle...the lighting sucks, bad background, and I had a crappy lens at the time ...the only thing that works is the stare. I am just trying to give good honest comments, the photo of the eagle has merit, the stretched wing, foot and the tail but it would have been so much stronger had the eagle been looking forward towards the camera....god I sound like the head angle police...:bg3:

Richard Mc Donald
09-24-2011, 05:24 AM
Duane, even though the photo appears to be "busy" the image of the eagle is strong enough to stop my eyes from wandering and you are right, it is the eagles habitat, more often than not we as wildlife photographers have no choice in background or surrounds.

If anything, I'd run a small ammount of fill light on the body to enhance some features.

Richard

Melissa Groo
09-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Duane, I love the stretching pose, and the drama of this capture. The light is really nice and I am fine with the HA/eye gaze. I guess I'd be in the minority here but I actually like the habitat here, and think it provides a nice sense of balance (as well as authenticity).
I was sad to hear of his mate's death, and so hope that he indeed has found a new one!

Mital Patel
09-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Duane,

Am on the other part of the world where we see different kind of species.

I love Bald's and wish to see em one day in this lifespan for sure.

I love this image for its Wing Stretch (Fan like) ,, Its okay that you dont have clean open Perch nice light, low angle, and creamy bg.

its always good to have such habitat shots along with some fine profile shots .. Nature is changing a lot and such documentation will help next gen to understand the situations if one person from 1000 can understand that and try to help it'll be big help.

So AIA i am happy with this shot.

Duane Noblick
09-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Paul, again, I appreciate your honest critique and by no way was I offended by it (my sincere appologies if the words I typed came across that way)...I was just trying to understand the head angle you mentioned. After seeing the image you posted now I understand where you are coming from and I thank you for sharing your image to show your point. I don't get too caught up by head angle.... it is important but not in every situation as far as I'm concerned. I felt the lazy feel to this image worked well with how his head was turned slightly...your's is an intense stare and I don't think it would work for an image like mine. I do have a few with him looking right at me but I felt it didn't work for this pose.

I have read many critiques given about images like this and the BG being busy and from the outside looking in it sounds like many think images like this shouldn't be taken or even processed. This is exactly how I felt when I first joined but I do understand where people are coming from but for many it's unavoidable...I know with these Eagles it is for me.

Thank you all for the critiques...it's much appreciated. :S3: