PDA

View Full Version : Mammot with a mouthful

Tin Man Lee
09-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Taken few days ago at Rocky Mountain National Park during a weekend visit.
I was waiting for the pikas when this mamot suddenly came up. I had to walk a few steps back quickly in order to take a headshot.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 500mm F4, 1.4x III, f5.6, 1/2000s, handheld.
Lightroom 3, CS 5, Nik Viveza2

C&C welcome.

Grant Atkinson
09-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Quite a mouthful of grass that the marmot is carrying here. Like the pose, and the background, it does look as if the critical focus was on the grass rather than the marmots eye...
Interesting behavioural image though...
TFS
Grant

Pieter de Waal
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey Tin Man love the creative concept of this image. The slightly OOF Marmot, blurred BG and colours make for a fascinating and interesting image. I like it.

Allen Sparks
09-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Really like the image - great catch. Agree critical focus is on the grass - still a nice image.

Tin Man Lee
09-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. I so wish I could have manual focused on the eyes or have stopped down, but by the time I stepped back and focused on the mammot, he was ready to meet his mate and walked into a cave and not to be seen. And I waited there for a good hour afterwards and they never got back anything from their mouth. I set the shutter speed so high as I was planning to photograph the fast moving pikas. Well of course I didn't get any pikas with mouthful shots. I saw two chances but I failed to focus on time before the pikas went away. How sad.

Mark Wiseman
09-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Hi Tin Man, this is a lovely image, great composition, but ditto the above with regards to the focal point. As you so rightly said that it was a pity. TFS your image with us all as I think you are not the only one that this has happened to in there image taking.
:cheers::5

Tom Redd
09-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Tin, sorry you missed the Pikas with grass. It gives you a reason to return to RMNP again. Sorry I missed you this time around. Fun shot you posted here.

Harshad Barve
09-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Gotta love this , excellent capture
TFS

DanWalters
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Like all the grass in the mouth. Wish the eye was a little sharper.