PDA

View Full Version : Theme Least Sandpiper Looming Large.

Daniel Cadieux
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I almost forgot about this fella as it was taken a few days before I stumbled upon the phalarope that got me ga-ga. A close approach and a low angle gave this fella the appearance of being larger than the world's smallest shorebird species! A little larger in the frame than what I usually prefer but I love the walking pose.

Canon 7D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/6.3, ISo 800 (histogram checked), natural light, handheld, about 85% FF (cropped for comp right and bottom). Minor sand clean-up at right.

Ron Sprunger
09-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Daniel, that's absolutely lovely. It has a wonderful high-key look to it, but the detail and contrast on the bird are spot-on.

gail bisson
09-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Daniel,
You do marvelous things with your 7D! I love the green in the LLC. Amazing you got him sharp at 1/320 as these guys are fast! I like the comp as well,
Gail

Randy Stout
09-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Daniel:

Your shutter speed gave a nice sense of movement with the blurred foot while keeping the body sharp.
I agree about the greenery in LLC, adds. Excellent shooting angle, he does look like a pretty big guy!

I am mildly bothered by the dark area LUC, because the rest of the BG is so high key.

Cheers

Randy

ramesh anantharaman
09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I am just applauding the image siting here. th compo and Pose are just perfect.

Mital Patel
09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Daniel i am loving this.
Super execution of high key here still keeping bird freeze and whites are good on my mbpro ..

Agree on LUC. And might consider removing those vegetation spots between and behind legs ...

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Daniel, a very "in their world" kinda shot...liked it a lot. excellent shooting angle and pose.

Craig Brelsford
09-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Kaus said it well: an "in their world" shot indeed. I may sound like a broken record praising you again and again for going low, but then, every time you hit the dirt, a new effort is required; and therefore a new thank you is deserved.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I like it too Daniel. Great low angle and super green . I like the dof on the bird as it seems to add to the movement. I am curious if you needed to use any NR at 800. I hated my 7D because of the noise at only 320.

Daniel Cadieux
09-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys!

Cheryl, I only run NR on BGs that are midttone or darker on ISOs higer than 400. 400 and lower I am happy with, as well as pale BGs at any ISO (such as here). No NR on the subject and perch, ever.:S3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys!

Cheryl, I only run NR on BGs that are midttone or darker on ISOs higer than 400. 400 and lower I am happy with, as well as pale BGs at any ISO (such as here). No NR on the subject and perch, ever.:S3:

Thanks Dan. I expected not on this one since the exposure is good and light but I really did have alot of noise with that camera. I sent it in and they said there was a problem w/the sensor adjustment and they fixed it... I never noticed an improvement.

Raul Padilla
09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
great comp and eye contac, well done