PDA

View Full Version : To Theme or Not to Theme, that is the Question!

Paul Lagasi
09-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Guess it was a good day for creating....this image I created using and image I took in German this past August.

Fotosketcher for old looking frame, seperate effects, watercolor and oil then layered them and combined at various opacities..

Fun to do..graveyard shift, time for bed

Anita Bower
09-22-2011, 06:46 AM
I very much like the composition of the original image, as well as the post processing. You achieved a dark yet warm effect. I wish the bright area included the face. The frame does not work for me--maybe because of the color, maybe because of the inner white border.

denise ippolito
09-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Paul, I like the way you framed the composition, not crazy about the stark white either. I might tone down the brightest area on the left and try to lighten the face area just slightly if it were mine. Very powerful image Paul. I think it fits the theme.:S3:

Maureen Allen
09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Paul, the image is beautiful and the processing and lighting are lovely. But to be really honest, I don't like the frame. The white border doesn't bother me, although I think an off white might work as well. If it were mine, I'd try a much less decorative/overwhelming frame, one that wouldn't compete with the image - perhaps a simple gold.

I'm going to be photographing several churches over the next few weeks, and your image has given me some ideas for that. Thanks :S3:

Brendan Dozier
09-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Definitely some dramatic lighting on a dramatic scene, Paul. Like the effect you got with the processing, kind of further emphasizes the antique look. Good suggestion to tone down the bright white area.

Kerry Perkins
09-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Paul, I think the image works fine for the theme. I would love to see the frame with the same lush gold tone of the image. I am drawn to the image by the subject and find some symbolic meaning to the dark/light contrast.

Paul Lagasi
09-23-2011, 01:32 PM
We've all done it..you know what I mean, not being able to get the color combinations right...so I decided to make my own frame.
I also removed the large overly lite patch, Filters-Render-Lighting effects just wouldn't give me the effect I wanted on the face....so viola
I was wondering what you think of the result, I know some won't like the bit of white, it almost make the spectator think there's a glow from the crucifix, what do you say?
Almost looks like a National Geo Cover....:Whoa!:

Andrew McLachlan
09-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Looks great with the face lightened and the gold frame. I'd like to see that with the original silver frame

Maureen Allen
09-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Beautiful, Paul :S3:

Anita Bower
09-23-2011, 04:21 PM
The second image seems less contrasty, is that right? In the second image my eye goes to the face instead of to the (now eliminated) bright spot, which I prefer. I think I like the second image but maybe with a little more contrast. Some of us are hard to please. No comment on the frame, as I would prefer no frame at all.

Paul Lagasi
09-23-2011, 06:22 PM
LOLOL Anita...I am married, my mother in law lives with us and I have two girls.....women hard to please ..nah :Whoa!:. Thank you for your comments I did play with the contrast a bit trying to get the darks and lights even more opposite, if that makes sense but I imagine the real culprit is image reduction for posting. I am a sucker for frames...look back at some of my previous works...Thanks for your input I really appreciate the input.

Hey Andrew, I have really gotten into creating my own books at Blurb.com. I have a lot of images of church's, interior, exterior, steeples that I want to create one copy of a book..of my images. I will decide soon which I choose...here is the old frame without the white matte.

Anita Bower
09-23-2011, 06:38 PM
LOLOL Anita...I am married, my mother in law lives with us and I have two girls.....women hard to please ..nah :Whoa!:. Thank you for your comments I did play with the contrast a bit trying to get the darks and lights even more opposite, if that makes sense but I imagine the real culprit is image reduction for posting. I am a sucker for frames...look back at some of my previous works...Thanks for your input I really appreciate the input.

:bg3: