PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari lion at his best

Mark Wiseman
09-22-2011, 04:08 AM
I took this image in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, where the best lions in Africa are found. I was fortunate one morning to have wonderful light and this image shows the lion off at it's best. The OOF foreground rocks have been reduced as far as possible and under the circumstance I dont think I could have done better. There was a cold breeze blowing accounting for the slightly windswept mane. Any comments are most welcome. The image was taken at 6h30(GMT+2)
Camera details:
Canon EOS 1 Ds Mk III
Canon EF 500mm f4 LUIS lens
Aperture f4
Shutter speed 1/500
ISO 400
Exposure compensation +11/3
I used ACR and CS5 in the processing of the image.
:cheers:

Jay Gould
09-22-2011, 04:50 AM

I agree; this is a wonderful image.

:5

Ofer Levy
09-22-2011, 05:23 AM
Superb!!! Looks like you couldn't get more of the water because of these OOF rock/bush but this is still wonderful!

Harshad Barve
09-22-2011, 05:56 AM
this is one magnificent image Mark , VWD on all counts
TFS

Robert Amoruso
09-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Mark,

You did a good job minimizing the FG rocks. I really did not notice them until I studied the image closely. Great light, nice positioning of the lion and spot on with the tongue action. Well done.

shane shacaluga
09-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Amazing shot! TFS!

Dumay de Boulle
09-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Lovely detail and light...Kgalagadi looks great for photography...Hope to get there some day. Feel like it needs a minor CCW rotation.

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Mark - Agree with the above. Great image in wonderful light and you did well with the fg rocks.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi Mark, under the circumstances yes you have done very well and I really like the perspective and composition.

Now knowing a little more of where you are going on things and your photography Mark I think I will raise a few points only to try and aid/help you, although working on a web image is not ideal, but done correctly irrespective of quality reduction in compression, a good image will come through. The judges are tough and if you are building a display of work Mark best to iron out a few bits early on. :w3

- Is this a crop, if so by how much?
- I would like to see a bit more clarity, detail & sharpness in the face, although perhaps looking at the LH paw there is
movement, so this might have affected the head? Perhaps a hint more USM?
- Have you run any NR on the image, if so was it applied on the rocks and tongue, as the tongue should have at least some
detail, even at f/4.
- Happy with the warm light
- Depending on how much space you have around the image Mark, I agree that perhaps a slight 0.60 CCW might help, only
to get the water level straight, but not a 'Deal breaker'

Better to raise some thoughts here Mark to tighten up the final selection, to avoid some sleepless nights later on. :S3:

Hope this helps.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi Mark, great low perspective here, and I like how the light has been cast solely on the face. Lovely lazy look of lapping up water, and the FG has worked out well considering your obstacles.

Lorant Voros
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Sweet light for sure and nice eye contact. How did you manage to get this low?

Mark Wiseman
09-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Steve, this is a repost. As promised the follow up is that I did crop, it was not massive though. I have reprocessed the image with slightly less of a crop. I think I understand you about clarity and have used the contrast slider for the first time on this image as an adjustment layer. I did reduce noise over the rocks in the original, but not in the repost and this can be seen by the sharpness on the rocks forming the crib. Normally I do a split sharpening method, but in this case I have not There has been very little sharpening due to the added contrast used. The image was rotated 0.69 CCW. What do you think of the change?
To answer the question of the low angle, I try at all times to get as low as possible so that the viewer of the image feels part of the image. This is really important to me as I want to portray the animal in its natural environment as if you are another animal looking back at the subject. I try never to shoot down on a subject unless it is an aerial image. Thank you to all that have posted and taken the time to comment, I can assure you all the feedback is gratefully appreciated, many thanks, Mark.

Pieter de Waal
09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Superb image Mark, as mentioned nice low angle and lovely morning light. Nice capture of the eyes and lapping tongue. You are so right about Kgalagadi lions.

Hilary Hann
09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Those eyes just suck you in. Beautiful light and impressive animal. I feel part of this image, so in that regard I would say that you have been very successful.

Morkel Erasmus
09-23-2011, 05:48 PM
This sure was a stunning sighting, Mark! Love the light, the look, and the low POV...assuming this was Cubitje I can see how you got so low by parking a bit away from the waterhole and going right over the door of your vehicle.
Steve raised some valid points on the OP. I love the repost as it just has more "oomph" as well as finite detail (prefer the slightly wider view too). :5

Steve Canuel
09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice shot. I like the wide eyed look, the spread of the claws and their opposing up and down position, and the overall comp. Prefer the wider look of the repost but the colors of the OP.

Ofer Levy
09-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I much prefer the original post in all aspects. Composition is more effective and colours/contrast look more natural and pleasing. Don't see a need for any rotation. Just slightly more sharpening on this tiny web version.

Mark Wiseman
09-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks Ofer for your comments, they are truly and gratefully appreciated, with many thanks, Mark.

DanWalters
09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Great light and I really like the intense look.

peter delaney
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Mark

Nice image, having spent many years in KTP I know how special a place it is... It s always difficult getting images at these manmade waterholes ... Agree with Steves observations ..prefer the colour /contrast/ in the repost

The SS used is too low for your lens hence slight movement in paw... .. be interested to know why you had to increase your exposure +1 1/3... ?

just some advice ,take it or leave it... but if you really want to succeed / improve your photography , try and think a little more of the box ... this kind of image has been done a lot.. not trying to rain on your parade but its easy to fall in to as I call it "forum type" photography and receive lots of "Wows" which is nice and can be encouraging but when entering competitions or submitting to editors they will be look for something more interesting....

peter

Mark Wiseman
09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info and help Peter. Any help is gratefully appreciated and I am sure that my images can only improve, which is a scary thought. All you need do is ask Morkel what change there has been over the past month. Your help is gratefully appreciated, with many thanks, Mark.
PS: Hope to see you in the Kalahari, I should be there at the end of the year for 2-3 weeks, I cant wait. I have spoken to Mark Cawardine personally and I have a fair idea of what they want in there competitions, so I am looking for something out of the ordinary, I promise you that.

Ofer Levy
10-02-2011, 07:12 PM
just some advice ,take it or leave it... but if you really want to succeed / improve your photography , try and think a little more of the box ... this kind of image has been done a lot.. not trying to rain on your parade but its easy to fall in to as I call it "forum type" photography and receive lots of "Wows" which is nice and can be encouraging but when entering competitions or submitting to editors they will be look for something more interesting....

peter

Really not trying to start a fight but I am not sure I can relate for such a comment. In my eyes this image is just beautiful, interesting and very effective. I haven't seen many images in here, including from you Peter, which don't belong to the "forum type photography" whatever that means....
My advice to Mark is to try to capture his subjects the best way he can, keeping techs great and follow his heart rather than think about editors/competitions etc. I have seen too many winning photographs is major competitions which to my eyes are mediocre at best so won't suggest following that line...
BTW - shutter speed is fine considering the low light and the I don't think it's motion blur - probably DOF issue.
Just my two cents...