PDA

View Full Version : One Last Wave

Andrew McLachlan
09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Here is one last wave image crashing into Lake Superior's rugged eastern shore in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park. It is full frame and little more in line with the previous critique suggestions...less sky, but the tip of the peninsula is missing...sorry.

Nikon D200
Nikon 80-400mm lens @ 340mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 1/40 sec
Polarizing filter

Look forward to comments.

Hazel Grant
09-22-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't know that the tip of the peninsula is necessary here, though I've never seen this area before. The focus is the wave movement and you caught that at the peak The upward movement of the wave works well with the swirl of the water and the solid anchors of the rock. nice.

Jay Gould
09-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Andrew, I went back and looked at

Crashing Wave http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/89320-Crashing-Wave-On-Lake-Superior?highlight=,

After The Wave http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/89439-After-the-Wave?highlight=,

and now this image.

Were they processed the same way?

Were they shot on the same day and roughly the same time?

I am enjoying the similarities and also the color differences.

Andrew McLachlan
09-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks Hazel and Jay for the comments, much appreciated.

Jay, yes they were all shot on the same day over the span of about an hour. The weather was constantly changing. Lots of blue sky and lots of big rain clouds moving through rather quickly. One minute it was full sun the next I was heading into the forest for some shelter from the downpours. The only thing I did different with this and the last post was to darken the sky a little more than in the first post.

Robert Amoruso
09-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Andrew,

I feel the tighter composition here makes this splash much more dynamic then the previous post. I also like the position of the camera in this one better.

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Andrew - I agree with Robert and also like the hint of clouds in the bg. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Arthur Morris
09-22-2011, 04:16 PM
This is my fave of the wave series. I like the balance and the two different blues, esp. the sky.

dankearl
09-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I like the wave better than the first, but like the BG of the second.
Overall though, this is the best of the series.

Andrew McLachlan
09-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks folks for the comments, much appreciated!

Jerry van Dijk
09-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi Andrew, also my favorite of the series, thanks to the diagonal element the breaking wave introduces in the image and the overall dynamics of the image. A faster shutter speed may have frozen the movement of the FG waves and the trees a little better.