PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful buck

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
09-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I have been going through my images of Wyoming Speedgoats to cull the marginal ones. I took this one a few years ago. Your thoughts about this image are welcome and desired. Shooting data as follows:
Nikon D2X
2009:06:20 21:17:14
600mm
900mm (in 35mm film)
Subject dist: 63m
1/20 sec, f/11
Mode: Av
Metering: Spot
Exp comp: -1 1/3
ISO: 200
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 243MB
Image size: 3028 x 2242
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

Robert Amoruso
09-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Hi Mac,

Good to see you posting here.

I would suggest an s-curve correction to add contrast. Looks to have been overcast so the light was somewhat flat.

On the crop, I think this is fine just as presented but suggest a square crop using the ROT grid and placing the upper left poser point right between the buck eyes.

Purely subjective but I was playing around with Selective Color and made the grass greener by removing Magenta, adding Yellow and adding Black to the Green Channel.

Just perfect you got'em looking right at you.

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Nice that you got the head turn. I agree that it needs a little pop and as always, Robert has given good suggestions for improving the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Agree with Robert on a tad more in Curves, although making the grass a bit richer may alter the feel, ie early morning on an overcast day? Any changes, be carful not to lose the nice tones in rump part of the tail.

Just would like a lower POV if possible, as the HA is just right and he/she would be looking right down the barrel of the lens then.

TFS
Steve

Pieter de Waal
09-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Not seen one of these before,TFS. Fine looking animal , good eye contact and like the texture of the fur.

Morkel Erasmus
09-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Some good points raised above, Wheeler...could you have gotten lower?? I am also curious as to the difference between the "pronghorn" and the "Wyoming Speedgoat" or are they just 2 names for the same species? Sure looks like a pronghorn? :Whoa!:

Steve Canuel
09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Good sized buck giving you a nice look back pose. Like the fresh grass too. Not their most photogenic time of the year but it looks like you caught him before he really started to molt.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
09-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Speed Goat is Wyoming euphemism (same as) for a prong horn Tanks everyone for your thoughts. I am out of town at the moment, but I wil try o
your suggestions as soon as I return.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm home and have had a chance to make the suggested changes to this image. I think it looks outstanding. I hope you all agree.

Steve Kaluski
09-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Certainly there is more depth, tone & detail to the image now, just not a big fan of square crops. :w3