Best I could find searching files this year
500MM + 1.4TC
Gitzo 3530 LS
ISO=400
f/8.0
1/640

Kerry Perkins
09-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi Jeff, it is the color of the light that helps the pelican hide in this image - a good example of opportunistic camouflage. Looks like tough lighting conditions but you controlled the exposure nicely. I might crop a tad from the right.

Marina Scarr
09-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Good example for the camo category, Jeff. I think your WB looks off a little. Looks a tad too warm and I would sharpen the bird's face a bit more. If you have the space, I would crop from the right and give it a tad more room on the left or just crop from the right and make a vertical.

Jeff Cashdollar
09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Marina,

Sometimes I warm images from time to time, do not remember this one. Thanks for the feedback and please keep posting.

Mike Hannisian
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Marina,

Sometimes I warm images from time to time, do not remember this one. Thanks for the feedback and please keep posting.

How do you warm your images?

Jeff Cashdollar
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Great question. I use Light Room III as a first processing step. There is a section called basics that has both a temp and tint slider. In this case, by moving the slider to the right it warms the image. Actually it increases the color temp and moving to the left will cool the image. This can be done in Photoshop as well.

This is all related to White Balance too, more on that later. Color Temperature for the purpose of this example is based on the Kelvin Scale (K).
2,000K - 2,500K=sunset/sunrise (this is in general terms)
5,000K - 5,500K=daylight

Hence, increasing the number on the Kelvin scale will warm the image.

As you know, by playing with the WB settings you can affect in camera the color temperature.

Mike Hannisian
09-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Great question. I use Light Room III as a first processing step. There is a section called basics that has both a temp and tint slider. In this case, by moving the slider to the right it warms the image. Actually it increases the color temp and moving to the left will cool the image. This can be done in Photoshop as well.

This is all related to White Balance too, more on that later. Color Temperature for the purpose of this example is based on the Kelvin Scale (K).
2,000K - 2,500K=sunset/sunrise (this is in general terms)
5,000K - 5,500K=daylight

Hence, increasing the number on the Kelvin scale will warm the image.

As you know, by playing with the WB settings you can affect in camera the color temperature.

I process in LAB color space which is similar to the Lightroom setup (which is really the Adobe Raw Converter setup). However, my experience is that you have more control warming images by adjusting Channel B in curves than with either ARC or Lightroom. If you chose to giver it a try, let me know what you think.

Jeff Cashdollar
09-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Mike,

I will do that and appreciate the advice, thanks for sharing.