PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!

Grace Scalzo
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Going through some old images. Ted and I were on the West Coast of Florida last May, photographing egrets and small shorebirds. Out of the blue, this bird flew in and landed right in front of us. I had never seen a reddish egret before. Playing with comp just a bit, cropped from the left and added to the top. Florida birds are so tame!

1/1250, f5.6, ISO400
Canon mk4, 500 f4 + tripod

Mital Patel
09-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Light is good and so the sharpness. may be HA could be better. Loved the way the wave crosses but i might still crop some from bottom till black spot of legs. and yes some more space on right.

Randy Stout
09-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Grace:

I like reds, but what makes this one is seeing the legs through the wave. The thumbnail looked liked he was standing behind a ridge on the beach, so glad I opened it!

I might consider a sliver more room to the right. However, would make a fun bookmark as is!

Excellent head angle.

Fun to see something different.

Cheers

Randy

Ron Sprunger
09-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I love the view of the legs through the water. Agree with taking some off the bottom and adding to the right, but I like the image a lot. You nailed the exposure, got a great BG and spectacular foreground, good focus and detail. Nicely done.

Stu Bowie
09-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Grace, Randy hit the right point regarding the legs being visible through the water. Looks like he's going for a surf. Good sharp detail throughout the red, and maybe adding a tiny bit to the right will work.

Arthur Morris
09-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Yes, the visible legs are killer and I would not crop a pixel off the bottom as the balance is perfect and we see the whole wave perfectly. I like that the feet are half the wave.

Pieter de Waal
09-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Lovely image, colours are great and like the breaking wave and the Egrets alert pose. Nice exposure and eye contact.

Don Lacy
09-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Very cool and unique image Grace, well done.

Grace Scalzo
09-22-2011, 02:44 PM
thanks everyone, I appreciate your thoughts.