PDA

View Full Version : In Honor of World Rhino Day

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Inspired by Hilary, I went through my files to find a rhino shot in honor of World Rhino Day (which I guess is technically tomorrow 9/22). This image of a white rhino youngster was taken in August 2009 in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve in South Africa just after the youngster had nursed. Hopefully, the authorities in South Africa will be able to stem the poachers and this youngster, and others, will live long lives.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 275mm
1/800
f10
ISO 400
HH from a safari vehicle. Levels, selective s/h, contrast boost and sharpened in CS5. I debated cropping some from the right but left it full frame.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

P.S. Thanks again to Hilary for alerting us to World Rhino Day.

Steve Kaluski
09-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi Rachel, well this has the cute factor certainly.

Might just apply a little H/S and back off in Contrast just helps open up things IMHO, but again as an adjustment layer.

Seems like Hilary has started the ball rolling on this one. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Mark Wiseman
09-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi Rachel, cute, cute. I agree with Steve, ditto the above. It looks as though the ball is rolling, I will have to digitize one of my transparencies. TFS.
PS: If I am not mistaken, rhino horn on the black market is $60000/ kg. At that fee, no wonder poaching is on the increase, this is very sad!!!!!!
:2eyes2:

Brendan Dozier
09-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Very cute little one, Rachel, and like the pose, HA, and detail. Good suggestion by Steve, nice capture and tribute to these endangered creatures. Have to educate and end the demand for their horns.

Stu Bowie
09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Good DOF on the rhino Rachel, and he stands out nicely from the surrounding grasses. I agree to backing off on the contrast a touch.:w3

Grant Atkinson
09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Excellent pose captured here Rachel, with the ears up, and a good stance that the animal is in. I also like the textures on the face, and the contrast between the rhinos darker skin colour and the warm tones of the background. Nicely done..
cheers
Grant

Pieter de Waal
09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Very cute little guy Rachel. I love the ears on this youngster and nice exposure and detail in those bright conditions.

Morkel Erasmus
09-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Cute youngster here Rachel - I agree with Steve on backing down on contrast just a tad...
I hope this young one is now a bit more bulky and still going strong, and especially that his mother is alive as well, as the calves are often left to die of hunger at their mother's carcass if the latter are poached...:Whoa!:

Hilary Hann
09-21-2011, 06:33 PM
This is a lovely image of a white rhino calf. I really like the delicate nature of the grasses against the bulk of the rhino. You have good detail in the image although I agree with backing off the contrast/sharpening. Interesting to see that at this age the calf has grown quite well into its ears. Thanks for joining in and drawing attention to World Rhino Day (today, here in Oz). :S3:

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I agree on pulling back on the contrast.

Rachel

Harshad Barve
09-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Agree with above comments and A definite cute youngster
TFS

Robert Amoruso
09-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Nice environment you got him in Rachel. He stands out well against it.

Dumay de Boulle
09-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Lovely image...Aren't they just the most precious looking things when they are young...Appreciate the support for the cause Rachel

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks Harshad, Robert and Dumay.

dankearl
09-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Rachel, what a nice photo of just a great looking youngster.
Thanks for sharing it.