PDA

View Full Version : Tuck in...

Steve Kaluski
09-21-2011, 08:00 AM
In all honesty I have been kicking this image around for a long time, on the one hand I like the content, lines and composition, but having no eye contact worries me, so I thought I would post it to see the thoughts of others.

This is Minnie the orphan polar bear feeding on the remnants of the whale carcass which the bears were feeding on to hopefully see them through the harsh winter. Head well into an access point to get the last few morsels the smell and stench must have been very appealing, but I have to confess, for me, it did not have the same attraction, a bit like your Vulture image Morkel, smell wise. Shot from the bow of the zodiac to get the low POV.

cheers
Steve

PS Please do not write 'it does work for me' if not, why not.

Subject: Young Polar bear foraging on whale carcass (Ursus maritimus)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 70-200f/2.8
Exposure: 1/500s at f7.1 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Almost FF, slight crop (original capture horizontal)

PS: Curves, Levels, own colour mix, slight USM

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Steve - for me it feels like the real subject is the whale bone which is dominant in the scene and that the bear is secondary. As a result, I don't mind that there is no eye contact or that you can't really see the head. It's a great behavior shot that definitely tells a story. I like the reflection also.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendan Dozier
09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree with Rachel, Steve, though it's always nice to see the face, the image tells a story. It can't be easy making your way as an orphan polar bear. Kind of a documentary image that could be part of a series of images. Like the fur texture and reflection, well composed. ( btw - looks like you posted image info for different image:
Subject: Polar bear on pack ice yawning)

Steve Kaluski
09-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Cheers Brendon, got distracted with emails, thanks. :bg3:

Stu Bowie
09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi Steve, since this is a feeding behavioural shot, it doesnt matter that the bear's head is tucked into the carcass. I like the lines, the calm water, which in turn has created a good reflection.

Pieter de Waal
09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi Steve, I agree with the other comments and for me it is about the story and the environment which you have depicted so well with the different textures. Fur of the bear, rock, Whale carcass and the calm water reflection. Great IQ as always.

Grant Atkinson
09-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Steve, great image quality as always, and I agree with the comments above. Image tells a story, and as a storytelling image, it has a place. Although the bears face is not visible, there are so many other details that add further interest to the shot like the reflection, your composition and the dark tones on top and below that it works for me.
cheers
Grant

Hilary Hann
09-21-2011, 06:30 PM
The way the whale is decomposing is the amazing feature of this image. My mind is struggling to comprehend the texture and form of the whale. The lack of eye contact doesn't matter to me at all, but then I don't have a problem with lack of eye contact in nature photos if you are trying to show animals in their environment. But I've said that before. :e3

I would rather not have the foreground rock, but no real problem. Love the inky water with the reflection.

Morkel Erasmus
09-22-2011, 02:24 AM
I like this Steve...the eye contact is not needed as making eye contact would have meant the behaviour would be different (staring at the zodiac vs feeding on the carcass :Whoa!:).
I like the image design as well. Would perhaps crop a bit from the bottom to right above your watermark/signature?

Harshad Barve
09-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Excellent IQ here , Well seen and captured

Would perhaps crop a bit from the bottom to right above your watermark/signature?

Same thoughts here
TFS

Robert Amoruso
09-22-2011, 06:36 AM
I like this Steve...the eye contact is not needed as making eye contact would have meant the behavior would be different (staring at the zodiac vs feeding on the carcass :Whoa!:).
I like the image design as well. Would perhaps crop a bit from the bottom to right above your watermark/signature?

Agree.