PDA

View Full Version : Through the Roof

Jay Sheinfield
09-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Very radical comp:S3:. Grung work, Some cloning of distracting wood. Simplify. Still maybe having color saturation problems on web conversion. Do the greens look bright? Feedback always welcome. Thanks..........

denise ippolito
09-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Jay, I think the saturation goes well with the effect. Very interesting composition. I love it! The image has a quaint feel to it that is very appealing. Nicely done.:S3:

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Jay,

Greetings. Saturation looks good to me... Interesting composition... top beam seems a bit too emphasized to me, perhaps a small crop from the top (about to the top of the left most cross beam) would work. I like the general feel of the image.

Cheers,

-Michael-

John Storjohann
09-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Jay;

Very interesting composition on this one...almost looks like a series of ladders leaning against the top beam. Nice flow of lines...starting upward in the LLC, then a beam drawing your eye through the image...more beams leading your eye up, exploding into the cabin in the BG....then the strong beam across the top, lines leading to the left complimented by the tree line leading to the right...a complex, nicely seen design. To my eye the greens at the bottom of the screen are richer, or have more vibrancy than those in the center, but that's a minor point..and might be the lighting...and I'd be tempted to darken the path in the lower center framed pane and then the three small panes above that. The top beam doesn't bother me..in fact, I love the rich textures and tones...I'd be tempted to have a little more room on the left, but I'm not sure...I'd have to see it...I wouldn't want to tinker with the composition too much. Was this near the smokehouse? Good eye in seeing the potential here.

Andrew McLachlan
09-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi Jay, this image works on all counts for me! Lovely work!

Jay Gould
09-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Jay, I really like the Simplify approach to this image; very fairy land like.

My concern is with the lines of the house seen through the roof; clearly it's lines are not level.

I searched around for a level anchor and played with the lines in the foreground structure. The lines of the wood panels are also not level; however, some of the window lines are sort of level/straight.

I think you need to find a compromise and give the house on the hillside some CCW.

Jay Sheinfield
09-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks everyone appreciate the feedback.

Jay. You are right! CCW rotate is needed. Good catch.

Anita Bower
09-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Nice framing job! I like the various shapes, lines, textures, colors, the contrast between human-made structures and nature. The saturation is just fine. Nice pp work. I wish that beam were not sticking into the house. A CCW rotation would help immensely. Nice work. I'm wondering where you were standing to get this perspective.

Jay Sheinfield
09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Nice framing job! I like the various shapes, lines, textures, colors, the contrast between human-made structures and nature. The saturation is just fine. Nice pp work. I wish that beam were not sticking into the house. A CCW rotation would help immensely. Nice work. I'm wondering where you were standing to get this perspective.

I could take the beam out, not that hard. Thinking............I was standing on a hill behind the foreground structure. I used a telephoto to enlarge the BG house into the open space of the rafters. Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Jay Sheinfield
09-22-2011, 11:21 AM
CCW rotation as suggested..........

Anita Bower
09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I like the rotated image. No one else objected to the dark beam going into house, so..... :bg3:

Maureen Allen
09-22-2011, 01:02 PM
This is a great image, very creative comp. The greens look good to me!

Brendan Dozier
09-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I agree, Jay, very creative OOTB composition and really like the color and your processing style on this. Has a nice story book illustration feel. Good job!

Jay Sheinfield
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I like the rotated image. No one else objected to the dark beam going into house, so..... :bg3:

Hey Anita, Thinking over, I like your suggestion....so here it is. It's quick and may need some fine tuning. There maybe some cloning errors, I ran out of time:S3:

denise ippolito
09-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Jay, I think that the original post is the best.:S3:

Anita Bower
09-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Jay--it seems you are going to have to go with whichever version you personally prefer, since there are differing preferences here on the forum. I prefer your last post. :bg3: Whichever one you choose, it is very good.

John Storjohann
09-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Jay, pane #10 for me...but I wouldn't throw any of them in the recycle bin! All strong images, each with it's own strengths...it really does come down to your vision and what works for you! I'd be happy with any one of them!:e3

denise ippolito
09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Jay--it seems you are going to have to go with whichever version you personally prefer, since there are differing preferences here on the forum. I prefer your last post. :bg3: Whichever one you choose, it is very good.

I think Anita and John summed it up well!!!:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
09-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone, Thanks you all for your feedback.

This is one of those coin flips.............I slightly favor the OP. The settlement and leaning of walls and foundations is what gives these old homes some of their charm. Trying get them level and plum is a matter of personal taste and/or point of reference:S3:. I really appreciate that the image, in general, works for you guys as it works for me. Thanks again.