PDA

View Full Version : Grass

Anita Bower
09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Not an exciting image. I'm experimenting with getting smooth backgrounds out in the field. I confess to doing some minor work on this BG--Viveza structure, brush.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, tripod, overcast, f7.1, 1/250, ISO 250, manual focus (live view), manual exposure. PP: PS7, Elements 7, crop, rotate, brush, Viveza.

John Storjohann
09-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Anita, a very simple composition, beautifully rendered. Nice, warm fall tone...good placement..I like the slight curve to the stem....wonderfully smooth BG. I would have been tempted to leave more space on the LHS, and perhaps a bit more on the top...nicely done and great work with Viveza...one of my favorite tools.

Anita Bower
09-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Anita, a very simple composition, beautifully rendered. Nice, warm fall tone...good placement..I like the slight curve to the stem....wonderfully smooth BG. I would have been tempted to leave more space on the LHS, and perhaps a bit more on the top...nicely done and great work with Viveza...one of my favorite tools.
Thanks, John. Re. crop--there was plenty of room so I can add more. Will see what others think. :-)

Arthur Morris
09-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Simple. Elegant. Simply elegant. Love the light, the patterns, the BKGR, and the colors. Perhaps a bit of canvas added top and left....

Ron Sprunger
09-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Beautifully done. I like the colors, contrast, and detail. Great BG. Agree on space left and above.

Norm Dulak
09-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi Anita.

I like this image as presented. And please don't characterize it as not exciting! Taking relatively simple things and presenting them in a masterful way as you have done is exciting IMO. I especially like the diagonal orientation of your subject, and what you have done to the background.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to consider increasing the contrast a bit to make the subject stand out more. I've done that in the attachment, using PS CS5 levels. I also agree that adding a bit more canvass as suggested above would be good.

I always enjoy your posts Anita. Please keep your excellent work coming. I think this is very well done.

Norm

Anita Bower
09-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Thank you all for comments. I have added a bit of canvas to top and left. Will play with the contrast. Always appreciate input. I also appreciate Norm's words about simplicity being a good quality in an image. :S3:

Arthur Morris
09-23-2011, 11:18 AM
The greens in the repost are way to saturated for me (even though I loved Velvia) :S3:

Steve Maxson
09-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Beautiful all around, Anita and I love the simple diagonal comp. I would agree with adding a little room at the top. Norm's repost makes an interesting alternative though I also like the OP - I think both versions work - they just express a different mood. Very well done!

Ken Childs
09-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Anita, I also love the simplicity of this....simple but beautiful! I agree more room on the left and top is needed but if this were mine, I'd take it the opposite direction from what Norm suggested and would desaturate it. I took the saturation down about 25 points and then slightly increased the contrast and thought it looked pretty good. This is all a matter of taste so there is merit to all versions. Well done overall! :S3:

I bet you could get a nice B&W conversion out of this one, too.

Anita Bower
09-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi Anita, I also love the simplicity of this....simple but beautiful! I agree more room on the left and top is needed but if this were mine, I'd take it the opposite direction from what Norm suggested and would desaturate it. I took the saturation down about 25 points and then slightly increased the contrast and thought it looked pretty good. This is all a matter of taste so there is merit to all versions. Well done overall! :S3:

I bet you could get a nice B&W conversion out of this one, too.
Hi, Ken. Glad to "hear" from you. I just tried your suggestion and like it a lot. Many thanks, as always.

denise ippolito
09-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Anita, I love the green BG and the composition-agree w/ a little top and left. Nice sharpness and details.:S3: