PDA

View Full Version : High Key Jonquil

Grahame Hamblin
09-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Moved up to f5,6 1/60 quite pleased any comments
Grahame

Anita Bower
09-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Beautiful curves and angles. I like the repeating diagonal lines. The line of blossoms from fully open to buds is lovely. I'm a fan of white backgrounds like this one. You write that you "moved up to 5.6." I'm not sure what that means. I would like to see a an aperture of f 32 or so to get the entire flower in focus. I assume the bg is artificial, so blurring the bg is not an issue here.

John Storjohann
09-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Hi Grahame;

In an image like this, I'd like to see more of the flower in focus; f/5.6 is still going to yield a very shallow DOF at this range. Beautiful color, lines and tones...I might have moved in even closer, evicting a bit of the stem in the LLC, and making more of a horizontal comp...great lighting. Keep them coming!

Arthur Morris
09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
We are all in the same club here. Love the soft, high key look but on the other hand as with your last image I am wishing for something really sharp to latch onto.

Steve Maxson
09-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi Grahame. I like the studio look and you have good exposure and comp. At f/5.6 this is noticeably sharper (e.g., the stamens on the left flower and some of the green sepals) than your previous post. My personal preference though, is still for more DOF - I think that if this same image was shot at f/16 - f/32 it would be striking. :S3:

Grahame Hamblin
09-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Hope to take more tomorrow All suggestions on board
Grahame

Ken Childs
09-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey Grahame, I like the concept but IMHO, you seem to have ended up somewhere between shallow DOF and all in focus. Others have mentioned that they would like to see more in focus and this sounds good to my but I think I would also like to see a version with one small sharp area and the rest with that nice, high-key desaturated dreamy look to it.....maybe taken from a higher angle. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with of this flower!